• Register
  • Help

Topic: JABB/CoMB Sonar Perc. Instrument Definitions

Share/Bookmark

JABB/CoMB Sonar Perc. Instrument Definitions

---removed---

Re: JABB/CoMB Sonar Perc. Instrument Definitions

Jon,

Are you really talking about instrument definitions? Instrument definitions would be the arrangement of a bank of patches in a hardware synth that could be read and used by Sonar with that synth. Are you not really meaning drum maps? I'm looking for drum maps but I don't trust my eyes well enough to do them myself.

If I have misunderstood your post then I apologize.
    Jerry
    Dayton, Kentucky
    Personally, I'm waiting for caller IQ.

Jon,

Let me check my Sonar Power book and get back to you but, yes we are talking about the same thing.

BTW, if you are new to Sonar you might want to get the Sonar Power book. It is the unofficial Bible for Sonar users and well worth the modest price.
    Jerry
    Dayton, Kentucky

Jon,

Thank you so much for doing this. I will download them and check them out but I'm sure they are fine. You can understand why I, visually impaired, would have had great problems completing this task. I am in your debt! Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.
    Jerry
    Dayton, Kentucky

Question Re: JABB/CoMB Sonar Perc. Instrument Definitions

Folks, I am rather new to Sonar 7, and was wondering if someone might be able to describe to me how I might utilize these instrument definitions. I have never defined a drum map, and am "percussion challenged" - as I have experience on the keyboard and brass instruments, but am not a percussionist.
    In short, how does one utilize drum maps, and how does one import these instrument definitions?

Thanks so much in advance for your help!

Drum maps allow you, in the PRV, to individually see which percussion instrument is assigned to each note on the virtual keyboard and to be able to assign Midi channels, ports, velocity offsets, and other otherwise handle each instrument individually in the same track (such as solo, mute, record, etc.) This allows you to not have to have each percussion instrument on a separate track. In Scott Garrigus' Sonar Power Book, there is an excellent tutorial on drum maps on ppg. 220-224. I believe there is also a Sonar tutorial as well.

If you don't have Sonar Power, you should get it, especially if you are new to Sonar. It is available through Amazon dot com. It is the best and most easily understood reference book for Sonar.

Jon,
    I only tried a couple of the maps but they worked fine. Thanks for doing this.
    Jerry
    Dayton, Kentucky

Jon,

Just curious - do you write for the Glassmen? Noticed you were from Toledo. My ex-wife is from Toledo and I've visited there many, many times.
    Jerry
    Dayton, Kentucky

Question Re: JABB/CoMB Sonar Perc. Instrument Definitions

Thanks so much again for your help. No, I haven't yet read the read me with the files this evening. Sounds straight forward.
    In KP2, do I need to specify anything other than load the sound on the right side of the screen?
    Do I need to set the channel to 10, or is it set up that way already?

Thanks again for your advice, and patience with a newbie!

Go Back to forum