• Register
  • Help

Topic: Simple question regarding mapping Sonar tracks to Kontakt 2 instruments

Share/Bookmark

Question Simple question regarding mapping Sonar tracks to Kontakt 2 instruments

Folks, I have a relatively simple question which I am embarassed to have to ask, but here goes:
    I have Sonar PE 7, EMU404 sound card, and Roland A-80 keyboard.
    I have opened up a Sonar file, and in it have three tracks: Violin, Flute, and Harp. The violin and flute tracks do not over lap.
    I have inserted a soft synth, Garritan Personal Orchestra via the Kontakt 2 player from NI.
    I have recorded Midi data into the violin track, and into the flute track. I would now like to record into the harp track, while I am listening to the original recorded violin and flute, and have it play simultaneously with the other two tracks.
    When I attempt to do this, and play the notes on the keyboard, I don't hear the harp, but the notes that I play affect the violin and flute tracks, not the harp track. I have turned off recording on the violin and flute tracks, and only wish to record the harp track, but while listening to the other tracks.
    I'm sure that I don't have the inputs/outputs set up correctly, and was wondering if anyone knew how to do so between Sonar 7 PE and the Kontakt 2 player and individual instruments?
    Thanks so much in advance for your help!

Re: Simple question regarding mapping Sonar tracks to Kontakt 2 instruments

Hey rfdillon,

It sounds like the Roland A-80 is broadcasting on midi channel 1 still. Your inputs are likely still set to MIDI Omni for the flute and violin. On the I/O tab of the tracks, switch these to none, and the A-80 won't affect the tracks. The harp track should still be able to receive information from the keyboard, but KP2 may not. If you can, set the A-80 to broadcast on the same midi channel number as the harp is set in KP2. Then there should be no conflicts. In the track controls, set the channel to this number.

Thumbs up Re: Simple question regarding mapping Sonar tracks to Kontakt 2 instruments

Thanks, folks, for your help and observations. Reegs and jgloving's advice to disable the IO on the flute and violin tracks sounds like it might work. I will give it a whirl tonight. With some other reading on this forum about the Kontakt 2 player and outputs, I am pretty lost.
    Things seemed to work much better with the Kontakt 1 player.
    I really have no clue about the output channels and surround sound in the Kontakt2 player. I have no use currently for surround sound and would just like to be able to load instruments and have them accessed in Sonar. Sounds simple, but I am truly lost.
    Thanks again for your help!

Go Back to forum