• Register
  • Help

Topic: Reaktor & Sibelius

Share/Bookmark

Reaktor & Sibelius

I realize that there probably aren't many notation-program guys in the room, but here goes ...

Has anyone been using Sibelius 5 to drive Reaktor? I used to use Reaktor with Finale, running Reaktor on a stand-alone machine. I just wondered if anyone's jumped through the hoops necessary to get Sibelius to talk to this program.

Re: Reaktor & Sibelius

Quote Originally Posted by berkeleyguy
    I realize that there probably aren't many notation-program guys in the room, but here goes ...

Has anyone been using Sibelius 5 to drive Reaktor? I used to use Reaktor with Finale, running Reaktor on a stand-alone machine. I just wondered if anyone's jumped through the hoops necessary to get Sibelius to talk to this program.
    if you have midi interfaces on both machine you can configure sibelius to output on the midi out and reaktor receive on midi in.
    Otherwise there are some midi over lan softwares that emulate midi communication over lan having virtual midi in/out on both pc.

Question Re: Reaktor & Sibelius

Hi, Zeruyo -

I've got a MOTU Midi Express XT that I once used so that Finale could talk to my Dell PC. The Dell has a soundcard with MIDI in/out.

Does this sound like it could work for me, now that I'm a Sibelius 5 user? You mention MIDI interfaces "On both machines." Though the PC has MIDI plugs in & out, my Mac has only USB and firewire.

And when you say "Configure," I wonder if you could speculate a little. I've got some of the tech support guys at Sibelius telling me that I can build a manual soundset, but I have never done this.

What I am afraid of (besides just free-floating fear of the odd dozen things that can go wrong) is that Sibelius 5 is designed to default to its presets, and seems (to me, at least) to be a bit of a black box. Perhaps this is just because of my being new to the Kontakt 2 player interface.

Quote Originally Posted by berkeleyguy
    Hi, Zeruyo -

I've got a MOTU Midi Express XT that I once used so that Finale could talk to my Dell PC. The Dell has a soundcard with MIDI in/out.

Does this sound like it could work for me, now that I'm a Sibelius 5 user? You mention MIDI interfaces "On both machines." Though the PC has MIDI plugs in & out, my Mac has only USB and firewire.

And when you say "Configure," I wonder if you could speculate a little. I've got some of the tech support guys at Sibelius telling me that I can build a manual soundset, but I have never done this.

What I am afraid of (besides just free-floating fear of the odd dozen things that can go wrong) is that Sibelius 5 is designed to default to its presets, and seems (to me, at least) to be a bit of a black box. Perhaps this is just because of my being new to the Kontakt 2 player interface.
    Maybe is simpler. If I undestand your configuration, you could connect the MOTU Midi Express XT to a usb port on your mac.
    Then you connect the Dell's midi out to Motu's midi in (assumed sibelius on pc and kontakt on mac).
    On sibelius be sure that the midi out of the dell's soundcard is activated (menu play => playback devices) . Then go to mixer (press 'm') and on each channel assigned to each score part set the output device (midi out of your soundcard) and channel number.
    On Kontakt set motu as midi in and load the sounds you wish in the midi channels you previously set in each sibelius part. Everything should work. Let me know

Thanks ! I'm going to give this a shot today.

Go Back to forum