• Register
  • Help

Topic: Listening Room - what else?

Listening Room - what else?

My story
    • First I had eSnips. Some guys had problems with it.
    • Then I had BoxNet, the free area, where I only could put file into smaller than 10 Mb.
    • Now I have BoxNet paid for files larger than 10 mb.
    Your story
    • Some have their own website. Some have Windows.
    • Easy for me are the websites of e.g. Larry Alexander. After clicking the system waits for the file to play with Windows Media Player and since I have Quicktime is now plays through this program.
    • Others use BoxNet also.
    • Some like KEPeace have a clear "own player" in their website.
    Problems area

Some have such obscure hosting sites and needs all sorts of plugins, players (Shockwave), and other stuff normally blocked by my firewall and IE, the music can't be played at all. Some have websites so slooooooooowwwww that it takes ages to get the file playing. Flash-stuff, circular re-directing links to itself, strange ActiveX stuff, it is all there, Java scripts, and the rest..... name it (MAc users have different systems).

Sometimes files named as MP3 in the text isn't MP3 at all. Maybe WMA, MP2, Ogg, Ram or whatever is on the market.

Can't we introduce some standard please? Now I have to skip a lot of your great compositions because I can't get them and though I installed a lot of the plugins, - to play the music - , I further refuse to install anything when my system asks for it.

Any solutions, ideas? Please.

Re: Listening Room - what else?

BoxNet seems to be really easy. I don't see why we can't all just be one big happy BoxNet family....unless someone else wasn't to provide a better place in which we can upload our music....

well, that was why I payed for my own website. I uploaded MP3 files, and people can hear them with no extra doodads necessary.

Well I have a website as well, not only for uploading, but for my online portfolio and work, but anyways, I always link my compositions straight from my webspace. 1 click and you're off.

Boxnet, Cransworth is for files smaller of 10 Mb. Here it's not unusual to have files larger than 10 Mb, which is "unfair".

The idea could be quite simple actually:

A. Someone makes a flash or php page for uploading, mp3/ogg files only. The person who makes it, makes sure that only NSS members can use it (with login info, if Mark is ok with that)
    B. We chip in 5$ and buy some webspace. http://www.bluehost.com/ 600 GB of webspace and 6 TB (6000 GB) of monthly traffic for 6.95$ (2 year contract). For such a thing, even I, who I have a website would have NO trouble donating 10$. Another 15 people willing to donate a mere 10$ and problem solved "forever". I can't really see anyone toping the 6 TB of monthly traffic and 600 GB of webspace...

Anyone up for this?

PS. the bluehost is juts an example. Any hosting with large webspace and traffic is fine.

If a simple .mp3 file is hosted on a user's personal site/server as a simple binary file, and not posted on some kind of free hosting site where the url ends in "mp3" but the site automatically couples it with various ads and spyware and players that don't work, and yet your computer is still incapable of playing it...

Then the problem is with your computer and not with the artist, because it's literally impossible to make posting a song more simple than that. :P

Keep in mind, that "you" above is "you" as in everybody, not "you" as in "Raymond62." I can't tell if this is one of the problem areas you mentioned but I think the above does bear pointing out in a discussion like this.

There is the music of Johann Sebastian Bach. Therefore there must be a God. You either get this one or you don't - Kreeft & Tacelli
    The will to achieve is not sufficient. Some things should not be achieved. - Rimsky-Korsakov
    Musicians are just these guys that want to make music. Okay, they want to have a wonderful lifestyle, but the majority just want to make really great music. - Jon Anderson

I personally use my own website for my own music. Took me a little bit to develop it...and now I'm redoing it. Here is my music profile on the site:

Music of Colton Provias
    Colton J. Provias
    Film Score Composer, Location Sound Mixer, and Sound Editor
    Full-stack Web Developer

Go Back to forum