• Register
  • Help

Topic: Well intentioned advice from a conductor to (young) composers-

Share/Bookmark

Well intentioned advice from a conductor to (young) composers-

I just found this and thought that some of you might find it useful. Seems like good advice.

Scroll down until you see the title.

"Well intentioned advice from a conductor to (young) composers" by Kenneth Woods

http://kennethwoods.net/blog1/2008/0...oor-composers/
    "An artist is someone who produces things that people don't need to have, but that he - for some reason - thinks it would be a good idea to give them."

- Andy Warhol

Re: Well intentioned advice from a conductor to (young) composers-

Thanks for the link, I'm just starting to read it and just the first sentence sort of angers me...

"First, please remember that there is probably no initiative a conductor can take, except for firing a player, that will almost always generate more complaint and resistance than to program a brand new piece of music."

ARGH!! What's wrong with people?!

Okay... now to read the rest...

EDIT: Finished... though I'm not sure I'll ever be in the positions he describes, it is good to be prepared! Thanks again for the link! Will have to mention it on my podcast.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Apart from the fact that new pieces aren't accepted easily, I fully agree with most of this article. I've seen "modern" scores, only acceptable to mathematicians, technical engineers, etc. Even those terms Mahler and Beethoven used, give reason for discussion. Some Italian terms also.

Why not bluntly tell the timpanist: "Hit them hard"? What tempo do I use and what expression is needed when I read: "Andante Sostenuto" or "Un poco Allegro con passione", "Allegro ma non troppo". I can imagine that instrumentalists in an orchestra just sit and wait for the directions of the conductor (and possibly the composer).

I had a good laugh reading this article. Thank you for telling me.

Raymond

Thanks for the link,

Who knows...

In short, being respectful to others is a good thing to start with.

SergeD

Klassical:

Great post. I agree with Raymond62 and even further, I'd recommend that this be a mandatory supplemental reading for all in classes pertaining to composing, conducting and arranging. It would also be very good for any aspiring players.
    I could certainly have benefited from this information early in my career as I've always been an advocate of "the simplest notation possible." It's gratifying to know others feel as we do.

sos

that was great -- and very timely for me, too -- thanks for posting that. It's going to go on my wall.

Karen

Thumbs up Re: Well intentioned advice from a conductor to (young) composers-

Great article - thanks so much for posting it!

Go Back to forum