• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO & Cubase 4 Studio

Share/Bookmark

GPO & Cubase 4 Studio

I am using Cubase 4 Studio with GPO and wondering if there is an easy way to have greater than 16 instruments without having to create additional GPO VSTs within Cubase (Each to handle upto 16 instruments).

When I look at the Channels with GPO only Port A is shown as available.

Thanks for any help
    Andy

Re: GPO & Cubase 4 Studio

Hi Andy,

Welcome to NorthernSounds!

You'll need to load a second instance to have more dedicated midi channels. It's not a Garritan or Kontakt restriction, it's how the VST and MIDI specifications work. Sixteen MIDI channels per port (instance).

You can load up to 64 instruments within the Kontakt Player 2, but they'll need to share the sixteen midi channels and 32 mono (16 stereo) outs afforded by the spec.

Best,
    Reegs

Thanks Reegs that helped me.

Hopefully a simple beginner question:

If you have more than 16 instruments some will have to share a MIDI channel, how would you then play the different instruments from within cubase.

Thanks
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by AndyFelton
    Thanks Reegs that helped me.

Hopefully a simple beginner question:

If you have more than 16 instruments some will have to share a MIDI channel, how would you then play the different instruments from within cubase.

Thanks
    Andy
    Good question Andy. Unless you're really clever and combine instruments whose ranges are vasty different (e.g. double bass and piccolo), you'll hear both playing at the same time. If you need to do this, be aware that many instruments have keyswitching notes outside of their playable ranges, usually indicated by orange keys in KP2, which may overlap notes of the second instrument. These notes allow you to alter they playing style. One example is on the solo flute instrument: one key switches it to use vibrato samples, the second switches to nonvibrato, and a third switches to flutter-tongue samples.

Best,
    Reegs

Reegs,

Guessed that would be the answer thanks for the response.

Andy

Andy

You do have the option of placing instruments in other instruments quiet passages.

In terms of the sharing of midi, Cubase is not restricted to 16 midi tracks.
    If you load a second instance of Kontakt Player you can have an additional 16 midi tracks.
    So, if you have strings on KP1 midi one and flute on KP2 Midi 1, they are not sharing. They will appear on different channel strips on your VST Cubase mixer

Now, how do you make use of those 16 unassigend channels per Kontakt Player? I don't know and I'm really seeking the answer to that one.

Neil
    Neil B
    Pentium 4 PC Windows XP Home 32 bit 3.6 Ghz, Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian, Kontakt 3, GPO 3, EWQLSC, Scope Pulsar II, Cubase 4.5

Go Back to forum