• Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: The Last Sunset

Share/Bookmark

The Last Sunset

Last Sunset
    3rd Movement of The Last Sunset

Do not go gentle into that good night
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

(Dylan Thomas)

This is the last Movement of this piece which began in The Gauntlet, where the challenge was made, continued in The Duel, where the main character received his fatal blow and ends here with him dying on the side of a mountain, minutes after being stabbed.

This piece depicts him dying while watching the sun set below the mountains. This music is to try to get inside of his head while he lies there dying. His first thoughts are of anger and confusion and then denial . Then he thinks about some of the highlights of his life, both good and bad. Then as his time draws near, he goes back to anger and confusion and then finally, without his agreement or consent, he dies.

I composed this back in the fall of 2006 with Sibelius 4. I have redone it in Sibelius 5 and have taken the wav file from there and ran it thru Sonar for reverb, etc. All the instruments are GPO

Here is the mp3 for Last Sunset
    Box.net - Free Online File Storage, Internet File Sharing, Online Storage, Access Documents & Files Anywhere, Backup Data, Send Files

Here is the score

http://www.box.net/shared/d6a37010k0

Here is the mp3 for The Gauntlet

Box.net - Free Online File Storage, Internet File Sharing, Online Storage, Access Documents & Files Anywhere, Backup Data, Send Files

Here is the mp3 for The Duel

I do know that there is a spot for the piano that is unplayable (about 1 and 1/2 measures), I just like the way it sounds.

Comments are much appreciated.

Ron

Re: The Last Sunset

Hey Ron,
    What a whirlwind of great pain and regret; a very passionate and fervent contemplation of ones own end.
    The piano is massive; a virtual non-stop horror ride for the main character.
    Enjoyed the large amounts of detail and clashing dissonance this movement delivers.
    ... and the ending was very effective! A very poignant conclusion.

Great work Ron!

Michael
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Hey Michael

I posted this last year at that other place and had 127 peeks and 0 replies.

I have been afraid that I have too much going on in this, yet that is really what I think someone's last thoughts are like and tried to show that many things are going on as one dies.

Those that accept their death probably go much more peacefully, yet those who try to deny death's grip will fight to the very end.

I had tons of fun when I composed this. The redoing of it in sib5 and GPO has been a total pain. It has made me rethink going back and redoing any more for a while. Doing articulations and dynamics as I am composing isn't very difficult, going back afterward and changing them all is a royal pain.

As Always, I thank you much for your comments. How is the new piece coming along? You haven't given me any update in awhile.

Thank you again

Ron

"The redoing of it in sib5 and GPO has been a total pain."

Ooch. Ouch. Boy, do I know about that, Ron... rofl!

Ron, to pay attention to technicals for a minute or two
    on this one...

This seems completely dry? 128kbps, too, which doesn't
    do a lot of favors for the sound. And dynamics are flat
    out through much of the piece -- I took a look at it in
    an audio editor -- so I think maybe your "retake" on this
    must have royally busted your chops (for which I have
    immense sympathy, having been there, myself... lol).

~

Compositionally, there's a wild, frenetic energy to this
    that's rather enticing [though I sure hope my own end
    is calmer!]. Ron, I do hope, regardless of the pain, you
    will take another shot at the rendering on this. There's
    a lot of drive and power and intensity in this that could
    really shine in a stronger rendering!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Ron,

What a rush of energy at the outset. Great piano writing - I don't know how playable/idiomatic it is - very effective and driving. It carries a strong character definition, and strikes me as very memorable (we'll see if I am humming this tomorrow). The tonal/lyrical elements contrast well with the more chromatic/agitated passages. This is quite a ride! The sense of defiance to the end is very well managed and achieved.

Excellent job!
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Whew, I hope I die in my sleep!

It's pretty intense and painful but I held my ground and listened. You did accomplish what you set out to say.

It was well done.

Phil

David

The dynamics in this that have been a pain, is getting them right between the instruments. What suffers in this is the overall dynamics. I get the right sound between the instruments and then move on, I know that I still have to go back and get the overall ups and downs right and wish I could do that in a daw. I know what parts are too loud and need to be softened, I just haven't done it yet. I now have sonar, and am still trying to figure out how to do everything in there, but still am having problems with that as well. I have only been working on this piece for the last year or so, and still have more to do. Tomorrow, I will try and fix it up a little more.

Ron

In measure 19 and 20, I do a run that I doubt very much if anyone can play. It is at least lightyears beyond my piano capabilities.

I love it when someone else can see what I am trying to do and then says that I have achieved my goal. I appreciate that a lot.
    Did you get to get out of school early today?

Phil

I think that this is not a favorite type of music for you, in fact a lot of my music is not really the style you prefer. Yet you keep coming back and giving it a listen. For that I am very grateful.

We only experience death once (I hope). I have often wondered if I shouldn't ask for a wild ride instead of a peaceful one in my sleep. I am not much into pain, but we are also talking about the final experience before it is all over.

A long drawn out demise to enhance the experience or a quick and painless death? Believe it or not, I have pondered this question many times in my life and haven't came up with an answer. Fortunately, it is out of my hands to decide. ( The thoughts that a man can come up with don't always make sense).

Thanks guys for the comments and the encouragement. I appreciate it a lot.

Ron

Hi, Ron

--!!---You're so right--There is a LOT going on in this, and I certainly found it an invigorating listening experience! You sure have stronger piano chops than I do.

What a trio of pieces, wonderful. You're a veritable power house, Ron.

I've looked through the thread--the discussion on dynamics. I am rather sure that there's one thing on this recording which is limiting the dynamics too much--and that's too zealous a use of Sonar's Boost 11. I can hear especially on the piano that your mix is overly compressed. And of course compression is constantly bringing levels up, squashing others, so they come out at a more even level--Great for pop music, but one has to be gentle with compression on orchestral pieces. I'm rather sure this is why David Et Lux noticed your .wav form being so flat.

Completing the feedback sandwich - I want to emphasize how much I enjoyed this.

Randy B.

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-

I've looked through the thread--the discussion on dynamics. I am rather sure that there's one thing on this recording which is limiting the dynamics too much--and that's too zealous a use of Sonar's Boost 11. I can hear especially on the piano that your mix is overly compressed. And of course compression is constantly bringing levels up, squashing others, so they come out at a more even level--Great for pop music, but one has to be gentle with compression on orchestral pieces. I'm rather sure this is why David Et Lux noticed your .wav form being so flat.

Randy B.
    Randy (and David)

I changed some of the dynamics again in this and this time ran it thru without the Boost 11. I think it has made a huge difference!

I also tried to make it a little wetter, but I always caution on the dry side, so I still may not have made it wet enough.

I know that I still have work to do on this and will continue.

Thanks Randy for taking the time out and reminding me of what a limiter does. I knew this and just forgot all about what I was doing.

Thanks again

Ron

Hi Ron,

Another fabulous piece! Certainly conveyed all those emotions you were going for, and done so in your unique and engaging Rolifer style.

Randy and etLux have already given you sufficient guidance on the mixing aspect of your rendering, so I have nothing to add there. One of the fun things with a DAW is learning and experimenting with all of the many options, then you eventually settle into some formulas that are consistently satisfying to your ear. What you're doing does certainly "work", but I think giving the offered suggestions a shot will really make your stuff shine like never before. It's always a challenge -- I struggle with it all the time.

As for your composing -- just stellar, Ron! The piano stuff you come up with is fantastic. Your writing for winds is also just top-notch.

Great stuff!!

Danny

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast