• Register
  • Help

Topic: String Tremolo

Share/Bookmark

String Tremolo

Ok, I am trying to get a natural sounding string tremolo. (I can get the machine gun effect very well) but I want it to sound more natural. I've played with the key velocities in Sonar to randomize the tremolo a bit, but it still sounds to machine-like.

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Thanks
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Re: String Tremolo

The GPO string section samples include recorded tremelo. Is there a reason you are staying away from these?
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Quote Originally Posted by Skysaw
    The GPO string section samples include recorded tremelo. Is there a reason you are staying away from these?
    Well, it might be because I didn't know that and haven't found them yet. Next problem would be: How do I take advantage of these 'recorded samples' in Sonar?

I will look into them and play around. I really am a 'newbie' to this 'engineering' stuff. Until now I have done everything in Finale notation. I am just scratching the surface on all these cc's and the like.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Challenge #10 Winner

Quote Originally Posted by wrayer
    Well, it might be because I didn't know that and haven't found them yet. Next problem would be: How do I take advantage of these 'recorded samples' in Sonar?
    KeySwitches F# (mute) & G (both section strings only), William. Apply these KS's to the notes you want tremolo'ed.

For solo strings use the same KS's to create a performance/playable tremolo, reduce the length parameter and use Var.1 (Intonation variation) & Var. 2 (Timbre variation) (mostly Var. 2) to eliminate the machine gun effect and achieve a more "human" tremolo.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie Fønshauge
    KeySwitches F# (mute) & G (both section strings only), William. Apply these KS's to the notes you want tremolo'ed.

For solo strings use the same KS's to create a performance/playable tremolo, reduce the length parameter and use Var.1 (Intonation variation) & Var. 2 (Timbre variation) (mostly Var. 2) to eliminate the machine gun effect and achieve a more "human" tremolo.
    Thanks Nickie, I will look at these as well.

Challenge #10 Winner

Go Back to forum