• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Looking for that Big Bass Drum sound used in Soundtracks

Share/Bookmark

Looking for that Big Bass Drum sound used in Soundtracks

I am looking for a good sample of the large booming bass drum sound you commonly hear in movie soundtracks. It sounds like a heavily EQd bass drum with a very slow decay. It's less percussive and the low end is what comes through. I have KHEmerald for Gigastudio and have thought about using the bass drum sample and working with it but figured there's got to be an existing sample out there somewhere that I could use.

Thanks

Eric

Re: Looking for that Big Bass Drum sound used in Soundtracks

I'm not sure I understand the exact type of sound you're after but I'd highly recommend "Tsaiko".

www.tsaikodrums.com

Best
    Thomas
    We are the musikmakers, we are the dreamers of dreams.
    -Willy Wonka

www.lavergren.com
    Follow me on Twitter!

Bruce A. Richardson (who was one of the shining lights for me when I first landed upon NSS' shores) is apparently producing a GVI-based O Daiko/Korean Buk library under the name "Sampledaddy."

Maybe some of the folks who made it to NAMM got to see it?

From what little I've read, I get the sense that it will be to O Daiko what SampleTekk is to pianos...

— alanb

http://alanb.org

http://www.myspace.com/arsperspicuus

Quote Originally Posted by alanb
    Bruce A. Richardson (who was one of the shining lights for me when I first landed upon NSS' shores) is apparently producing a GVI-based O Daiko/Korean Buk library under the name "Sampledaddy."
    What's Bruce up to these days? He's an old acquaintance of mine from the old Cakewalk USENET forums.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasL
    I'm not sure I understand the exact type of sound you're after but I'd highly recommend "Tsaiko".

www.tsaikodrums.com

Best
    Thomas
    The one demo that has the low frequency drum is pretty close to what I'm talking about. Of course now that I've heard the other demos I want to get this anyhow as those are some great samples and sounds used frequently in movie soundtracks also.

Here's a sample from Hans Zimmer Eptesicus that shows what I'm talking about.

http://www.mp3sale.tv/track.php?ms_trackid=695581

Listen to the 30 sec preview. At about 13 and 21 there are some boomy hits in the background.
    Thanks

Eric

Talking Re: Looking for that Big Bass Drum sound used in Soundtracks

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasL

www.tsaikodrums.com

Best
    Thomas
    Tsaiko has some of those big sounds in it, (with a little tweaking you could get then as big and long as those) and for $55 you can't go wrong.
    Sean Beeson
    www.seanbeeson.com
    Composer for videogames, film and television

You can find Bruce at NAMM...

Regarding BIG percussion, you can detune it lower, you can stack various sounds (detune for the low sound, stack another sound for a snappier hit), and you can use reverb such as GigaPulse to give it a longer and interesting tail.

Imagine a dry recording of lightning. Bap! The amplitude would be so high that you'd have to have to turn down the gain, or compress it to death. But to really feel the power of lightning, you need to hear it rumble through the hills to make it sound like it had some juice. That's what a nice impulse can do for your big drum hits.

I have Doru Malaia's percussion, including odaiko. It sounds really weak when dry. Run it through GigaPulse and its a whole 'nother animal.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Beeson
    Tsaiko has some of those big sounds in it, (with a little tweaking you could get then as big and long as those) and for $55 you can't go wrong.
    Thanks Sean. I visited your site and like your music.

What sample libraries and software/hardware are you using? What would you recommend as must-haves for someone assembling a library for scoring?

I have Sonar 7.0, KHEmerald, and am about to upgrade to Gigastudio 3.0 orchestra. I have will be getting Stylus RMX and Atmosphere at some point also. Of course I'll have to pick up Tsaiko too! I'm setting up a separate computer for Gigastudio also.

Eric

With GS3 (or soon, GS4) you will want to look into SampleDaddy for sure...

I bought Gigasampler thanks to Bruce R.'s reviews way back in the day.

He was the only review person who explained it's phenominal live stability, and how to use it. Nemesys was kind of helpful, but Bruce was the guy who helped me buy Gigasampler, than Scope came, and not much has changed for 8 years. That's what I call a product. I sold a rack of 4 x EMU samplers for good money before Giga became the live sampler of choice. Good thing, as they were worthless a year later.

I will buy his GVI w/o a demo, as I owe him for his precise, and expertise advice. And he's a live keyboard player, not a Cubase faker.
    JimmyV

Go Back to forum