• Register
  • Help

Topic: First thread...so...when's the viola coming out? ; )

Share/Bookmark

Question First thread...so...when's the viola coming out? ; )

OK people, I can't find the answer after some searches here, so I had to join to ask the question: does anyone have a CLUE when the strad and gofriller are finally going to get their missing sister, the viola??
    I know Garritan's year-end update said something about 'things to come'...great, but people like me would like to know if we should wait to buy, or buy existing libraries now, or what.

The strad and gofriller sound so cool and I can't imagine what would take them so long to get the viola out there, since the technology's been-there-done-that... Eh?

Help me out people! ; ) WHO KNOWS SOMETHING?

Oh - and where does one order the v2 update for the strad anyhow?

Thanks, runway99

Re: First thread...so...when's the viola coming out? ; )

I wouldn't hold your breath for the viola. It sounds like Gary parted company with Giorgio Tomasini, who holds the technology that blends the samples into each other. If I heard right Giorgio seems to now be applying his technology to new instruments from Peter Siedlaczek.

Hopefully Gary still has plans for a viola, but I imagine it's not an immediate priority.

I seem to recall reading that a viola is planned, which will be released on the new ARIA sampler. For now, I guess, we're supposed to wait. (Perhaps something along these lines will be announced at NAMM?)
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Quote Originally Posted by danpowers
    I seem to recall reading that a viola is planned, which will be released on the new ARIA sampler. For now, I guess, we're supposed to wait. (Perhaps something along these lines will be announced at NAMM?)
    ...But no bass?!? As a double bass major I find this highly alarming... No Giovanni Bottesini bass solos, concertos, or duos will be realized any time soon I suppose.....

There are so many here waiting for so much. There's the new ARIA player which has taken so much of Gary's time and which Gary has just announced is being shown at NAMM. Then we are waiting for present libraries: GPO, JaBB, CoMB, the Strad and Gofriller to be upgraded to the new player. Then there's GEM (Gary's Sampled MIDI collection, which was due last year but is now being delayed so that it can be with ARIA. Add to this lot projects that Gary has announced some time ago such as 'Real Spaces' (Gary's convolution reverb), Advanced GPO, the Garritan Choir with solo voices and speech. Gary has also been working on the Steinway and has just announced an organ library. I have never seen any word of a viola library and am unaware of any plans Gary has for this.

With all of the above I wouldn't bank on a viola library being released in the near future.

Regarding the time Gary takes over his products. When Gary releases a new product, we can expect something far over and above anything that has gone before. We generally find new innovations and surprises and Gary will not release a product until it is thoroughly ready and he will give it all the time it needs, however long it takes.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_uk
    With all of the above I wouldn't bank on a viola library being released in the near future.
    Sigh, that's too bad...bye bye dream of a real-time-playable string quartet! (at least in this form)

Go Back to forum