• Register
  • Help

Topic: Finale + EWQL Symphonic Orchestra problem

Share/Bookmark

Finale + EWQL Symphonic Orchestra problem

Hi, I notated hairpins in Finale (crescendo) but Finale is ignoring them, there is heard no crescendo. When I used Finale + GPO there was no problem (I think I only unchecked "Ignore Mod Wheel" in GPO Studio and checked "Default" and everything was OK). In Kompakt in EWQLSO was ModWheel on 0% so I tried to set it on 100% but it didn't help. I have Human Playback turned on in Finale. Can someone who is working with this stuff tell me where can be the problem? I want to hear crescendo. Thanks
    Tom

Re: Finale + EWQL Symphonic Orchestra problem

Since EWQL doesn't use CC#1 like GPO does, in HP preferences, deselect the various Garritan options.

In the Dynamics & Volume tab, there's a pulldown menu for Dynamic Approach for Sustaining Instruments, choose the controller you need to use.

JT

I deleted all data in "Instrument Techniques & Effects" tab in HP Preferences (this you meant by "deselecting the various Garritan options"?) and in "Dynamics & Volume" tab I set the "Controller for sustaining instruments" to "Modulation CC#1" and then there was a crescendo, but very subtle and all notes (also ffff) were very quiet. Then I unchecked "Optimize attacks for modulation-based dynamics" and the notes became louder but the crescendo remained subtle. I think the best would be if someone could send a Finale file with all settings for Human playback for EWQL if someone would be so nice. Or sth. better to advise?
    Tom

and I found out that the crescendo works only on strings, not on for example flute

Quote Originally Posted by kavis
    I deleted all data in "Instrument Techniques & Effects" tab in HP Preferences (this you meant by "deselecting the various Garritan options"?)
    No, that not exactly what I meant. The Instrument Techniques & Effects are the various keyswitches used in the Garritan libraries. You can delete those and create a set for your library. That's not a small task. But I was referring to all of the other options found in HP preferences which specify a Garritan instrument.

Quote Originally Posted by kavis
    ...in "Dynamics & Volume" tab I set the "Controller for sustaining instruments" to "Modulation CC#1" and then there was a crescendo, but very subtle and all notes (also ffff) were very quiet. Then I unchecked "Optimize attacks for modulation-based dynamics" and the notes became louder but the crescendo remained subtle.
    I don't have your EWQL library but I don't believe it uses CC#1 for dynamics and volume. GPO uses that. Assign the correct controller that your library uses in this slot.

Perhaps on the EWQL forum you can find another user who can share some specific tips or maybe a HP preference file.

Good luck,
    JT

Can you give me a link to EWQL forum?
    Tom

and is it a problem that I deleted all data in "Instrument Techniques & Effects" tab in HP Preferences - do I have to reinstall Finale? Or can I somehow get back those information - if they are necessary to me?
    Tom

Getting the notes into a sequencer is not as challenging and as time-consuming as is creating a great sound from virtual instruments. Tweaking velocities, mod wheel expression, switching between patches or inserting the correct keyswitches, humanizing and quantizing and cutting to grooves, making tiny tempo variations — programming a musical interpretation to generate a realistic performance requires all of these, and this is before we even reach the production stage, where we deal with EQ, effects, and more.

Put yourself in the preeminent acoustical concert hall in the world listening to a superb orchestral performance. Now, envision listening to this orchestra from the three optimum, acoustically ideal locations in the hall; up front; in close proximity to each instrument, in the main or “central area” of the room and near the back of the room. It sounded electrifying didn’t it! n this scenario, almost certainly, you would have made a distinction in the way the instruments sounded from each location. In other words, the acoustics of the hall would have become a major part of “the sound” if you will… This is what makes this library so realistic and striking as I’ll explain shortly. Suffice me to say for now; any professional studio engineer will tell you that great recordings start with great rooms. Add to the fact that each sample in this library, (to be called EWQLSO from here on out), was recorded from each of the three abovementioned locations and you have one of the MAJOR underlying validations as to why this is such a unique and powerful sample set.

Go Back to forum