• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Kudos to Spectrum!!!

Share/Bookmark

Talking Kudos to Spectrum!!!

Yes..yes, I know we've only seen the tip of the tip, ...

http://www.spectrasonics.net/omnisphere_teaser/

..but I feel so glad that Eric and company have defied all of the otherwise "self appointed intellectuals" who've snarled that everyone is "getting away" from "synthesized" sounds and moving into more "real sounds".

Excuse me for being so brash......what are "real sounds"?

Ya big pussies!

Thank you Spectrum for being true to yourself and your passion!

As the preemminent sound developer for all of the synths that I've loved so much over the years, I am grateful to see that you,.... of all people have said,... f*** it!! There will never be any substitute for truly innovative sound... whether synthesized or not!!

Rock on Spectrum!!!!

With the type of music that I (and many others have come to adore over the years), none of it would be possible without the "outside of the box" thinking that you have employed time and time again for the last twenty years or so.

Make no mistake about it, Orchestral is great and awesome,... but it is confined, restrained and subject to empirical evaluation against static (though beautiful) instruments that require one to move further "into" the box , than outside of the box in order to attain greatness.

I had no idea what was coming, and I saw all of the posts regarding the guesses and the hopes, and it seems that many people had it right in fact!

Kudos to them..(for knowing the core from which you came)!

But I shuddered in my boots wondering if you would stray soooo far away from that which made you great.

I feel relieved and happy that Omnisphere is exactly what it is. A sound creation tool!!!

Justifiable or not, it seems that Spectrasonics has (for the moment) decided to let the "Orchestral" developers be the orchestral developers, and has leveraged their unrivaled talent for "sound development" to guide their destiny.

I for one am grateful, as I will never be able to compete with the "higher ups" of orchestral purity. But,... there are no boundaries or limitations for those who's audiophilic aspirations are not dependant on a "source" composite of sound that can be measured against.

So, in a big sigh of relief, I say, thank you Spectrasonics for continuing to lead the charge into the realm of new and yet unexplored sound creation!!!

You, (and a select few others) are my heroes!!!!

Talking Re: Kudos to Spectrum!!!

P.S. As a Mac bible thumper from the beginning(1988), I must say, I have none of the problems that I used to have since I went purely Windows (which I was sure I'd hate) in 2002.......What a relief to be over that hurdle!!

OK I'll shut up... but why do I feel like rolling one up with Eddie Jobson right about now?

Hoooo... Yaahhhhh!!!

Re: Kudos to Spectrum!!!

Hey, I don't understand what you mean by real sound and synthesizer sound?

Synthesizer sound is real!

Wink Re: Kudos to Spectrum!!!

Quote Originally Posted by EnsoniqFan
    Hey, I don't understand what you mean by real sound and synthesizer sound?

Synthesizer sound is real!
    Hey brother, I'm with you, whether orchestral or Oberheim, all sound is "real sound".

However, there are those who would "disagree" with us and conclude that "Synth" sounds are somehow, "less worthy" or usable in today's music market than those sounds created by orchestral instruments and or reproduction.

Tell V*a*n*g*e*l*i*s, Jobson, Wakeman, and Lasar this,..... and you'll likely be spouting hot air to a non existent audience.

So, FWIW, in my puny mind,.... nothing could be further from the truth.

Synthesis = Sound innovation

I hope Eric will see this:

I tried to e-mail spectrasonic twice. The first time for something, which never got replied (ok, no problem there), and the 2nd time, because I forgot that I had already asked. I mean, it's not nice repeating the same thing twice, is it?

I tried to PM spectrum over here, but he has dissabled PMing to him, so I can't find him anyway, and certainly do not wish to e-mail a third time.

So, Eric: Sorry for the 2nd e-mail.

if you use synth sounds or don't it's your arrangement that matters, it's still orchestrated just with Synth sounds.

A lot of times you will blend in orchestra with synth sounds, strings on top of detuned Oscillators with some leads in the violins, some other pads in the background for horns etc.

Synth sounds are all about the color of the sound and mixing those sounds together, same is true for the orchestra.

Nothing is going to change.

Blade Runner soundtrack is damn good example of this(Orchestrated using Synth Sounds)

Style does not have anything to do with it either,(hence switch on Bach, it's still Bach) just with a Moog orchestrated using different colors of the synth.

Synth sounds are very much alive and very much in use^_-
    Orchestra has so many damn techniques in so many modern styles that
    it's deffinitly a free bird.
    All I can Say is...HA!...HA!...HAAAAAAA!!!!!

I agree wholeheartedly!

I guess I was just a little surprised by the somewhat chilly reception that a fair number of responders left. Not the majority by any means , but nonetheless a noteworthy percentage. To each his own I suppose.

Lots of people want lots of stuff from Eric because they know that the Spectrasonics Logo doesn't go on anything less than stellar, which I suppose is what gets people so worked up in their anticipation of what's coming out.

Everyone wants Spectrum to gravitate his talents toward their most favored direction. ....who wouldn't.

Nonetheless, as painful as a September 15th Omnisphere release date is, I'll bet there's not a rant or a bitch in site on September 16th. And if it has the power, flexibility and awe inspiring creative possibilities that were bestowed upon us with RMX, there is little that is going to be wanted for in the end.

And again, now that this "STEAM Engine" is reasonably complete in its fundamental architecture, the real fun is just getting started. My guess is that Spectrasonics didn't spend 3 years developing it just to be the sole suppiers of content and sounds/ samples for it.

Rightly or not, I tell myself that this "STEAM Engine" thing was meant to be somehow accessable to other developers (like Ninevolt and Company) to be able to produce all kinds of material(samples/sounds/etc),..... and as in the RMX format, now they will all be doing it to Spectrasonic's specification and therefore will be playing in the sandbox of the an integrity motivated leader in this niche.

So instead of Eric having to develop his material on engines that he has no control over or say so on(UVI. etc.) he can now focus on producing top notch material within an engine environment over which he has not only complete control, but the power to change or modify it to best suit the needs of an industry which is changing at the speed of light.

So I tell myself that even though Omnisphere is going to be awesome and nothing less than formidable,... I think the real Ace in the hole lies in the "STEAM Engine" concept and the control over which he can now exercise at his own pace as he sees fit.

And that's a good thing, because in my experience, I'm not sure if I know of anyone who is quite as formidable a visionary in this business as Eric, as he has demonstrated himself to be all the way back to the Roland days and continuing on to and through the growth and evolution of Spectrasonics.

As much as I'd like to have something new to play with NOW, there is no shortage of material out there to put your best foot forward in the realm of creativity. Anybody claiming otherwise needs their head examined.

So,even though I can be as big a whiner as anyone when it comes to wanting everything right now, I feel pretty excited about what all of this means in the big scheme of things.

Sometimes I wonder if people really get this when I read their posts,...

Cool Re: Kudos to Spectrum!!!

Wow, since reading the thread "Spectrasonics - Unacceptable behavior", am I ever glad that I migrated to the PC!!! Holy crap, some of the posts on there are really malevolent.

I don't mean to be a pain in the asss, but hey Mac guys,... did you ever consider getting just "one" PC to see how the rest of us "Plebs" are getting by?

I feel awful at the negativity that is brewing from the Mac community. Remember, your choice of format is in fact "yours".

If I was Eric, I'd be completely exasperated at all of the consternation that Apple has brought upon itself, its customers , and its developers over the last few years. And all of this in light of the fact that I know that Spectrum loves the Mac!!!!

But things are what they are, and OSX has been like bad case of PMS for 6 years now. As I read the boards and watch the volley go back and forth, I am grateful that I made the decision to migrate to PC back in 2002. What a relief!!!!

I can understand why you guys are upset, but enough is enough, get a PC and integrate it into your studio and see if you still have all of the same gripes........ And remember, your listening to a Mac bible thumper who was cast out from several communities back in the late 90's and early 2000's going to holy war on behalf of the Mac platform. I was born and bred on Macs from the early 1980's.

Whatever, I don't even know why I'm going here,... like I said, I just feel awful that Eric is being lambasted in what should be a moment of glory for him and his company. Oh well..... I'm just an individual,.... but as someone whose walked both sides of the fence, I'm awfully glad that I don't have my hands tied by Apple anymore.

OK, you can all shoot me now....

And of course, Vista has not messed up anyone's workflows on the PC. Give me a break.
    Composer, Logic Certified Trainer, Level 2,
    author of "Going Pro with Logic Pro 9."

www.jayasher.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ashermusic
    And of course, Vista has not messed up anyone's workflows on the PC. Give me a break.

See my quote in the other thread. No-one ( who has any serious workflow that I know of), is moving to Vista for another four years or so.

.....Why is it assumed that as soon as a new platform comes out,... everyone jumps ship.

Not in my limited experience. Those with deadlines, commitments, and pressure to keep their studio "alive" are usually the last one to migrate to any significantly untested OS or upgrade.

I'm not a major player, but the ones I know are unyielding in their following of this protocol. So, Windows, Mac, whatever...... Unless you've got a huge bank account or insurance policy written against workflow interuption( which to my knowledge doesn't exist), what is the rush????

Paddle down the stream with the waters that run most consistently.....

Go Back to forum