• Register
  • Help

Topic: Invitation to Ongoing Film Music Collaboration

Invitation to Ongoing Film Music Collaboration

Hi, my name is Galen, I have always enjoyed perusing the garritan forums here and am working on a project I wanted to present to the community:

I'm organizing an event (based out of Portland, OR) that will see a live orchestra playing an original soundtrack to film. Episodes from the 1940's technicolor superman cartoons have been music-wiped and re-recorded by us with sound-effects and foley leaving room for the soundtrack to be played by a 15-20 piece theater orchestra. The relatively little dialog will be performed live by voice actors.

The goal of the project is to promote live film music and opportunities for musicians and composers, all materials/music/film will be released public domain or under a creative commons license and made public to facilitate any person or organization interested in playing music to film live.

I want to invite everyone here to be a part of writing original soundtracks to these films, we are using a standard instrumentation of silent film orchestras (fl, cl, trp, trb, piano, perc, 2 vl, 1va, vc, cb).

We already have several composers working on the films (including myself) and in the next week or two I am going to host a forum where we can all throw around ideas/music/feedback and listen to each others' work (with Garritan mock-ups of course).

If you haven't seen these films. check them out! The animation is fantastic, the action is non-stop for the whole 8 minute ride. They fell into the public domain by accident in the 60's and you can watch them at http://www.vintagetooncast.com/search/label/superman. or at archive.org So far we are working on Bulleteers, Artic Giant and Mad Scientist.

Here is the temporary website for the project:
    it has a couple of our music-wiped versions. if your interested in writing some music for it, shoot me an e-mail at galenhuckins@gmail.com. You can participate as much as you like, writing one cue, or an entire score, whatever you're inspired to do. I'll send a recording to the composer of any music we use in the final compilation (and of course proper credit will be given to all of us for our music).Thanks for reading, I'm excited to collaborate with other members of this forum!!

Galen Huckins

Re: Invitation to Ongoing Film Music Collaboration

Oooh, that sounds like fun!!

Expect an email from me, I'd love to give it a shot!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

I have too many projects going on right now, but I might be interested in this if it's still going on later this year.
    Dan Powers

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

One of the first sequences is up, it helps illustrate a couple of the major themes, check it out at:

http://galenhuckins.com/filmmusic/Ar...tScoreDemo.pdf, www.galenhuckins.com/filmmusic.

If you're interested in writing a particular type of cue (atonal villan music, action sequence, short jazzy Daily Planet shots) let me know, "The Mad Scientist" is almost ready for scoring and contains a wide variety of material.

Anywho, hope to hear from you guys, thanks for the responses!

-Galen Huckins

Good afternoon. I am interested in your project and have sent you an e-mail.

I look forward to hearing from you.

For more information, check out www.jonathoncox.com/intro.html

"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music they should be taught to love it instead." - Igor Stravinsky

Go Back to forum