• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT - Drum Corps 08

Share/Bookmark

OT - Drum Corps 08

So, I'm trying out for Velvet Knights next month. It isn't a spiffy World Class corps, but it's my first Junior Corps. If anyone goes to DCI finals, I'll (hopefully) be marching either Baritone or Euph ( gotta love kanstul horns). Anyway, anyone else marching drum corps, junior or all-age?
    Anthony Abruscato

"There are only two types of music: Love Songs and Pirate Music"

HP Pavillion dv6171cl w/ Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit, 2 GB Ram, 250 GB 5200 RPM HD + an external 300 GB HD. GPO, JABB, CAMB, Sibelius 5.1, Finale 2008a, and a demo copy of FL studio.

Smile Re: OT - Drum Corps 08

I marched with Spirit of Atlanta in 82 and the Blue Devils in 83. Euphonium both years. Best 2 years of my life until I started having a family. The last time I went to finals was in 1999 or 2000. It was a painful experience. Too many memories, too much of a desire to be on the field. *sigh*

I've seen the Velvet Knights at some different shows. In fact, I think I saw them for the first time at Midwest. I'm not sure if I ever had the chance to hang out with any members, usually we were practicing when the B corps were performing.

Good luck with the tryouts. As with anything, give your heart and soul to the field, leave nothing behind. And most importantly forgo the baritone and play EUPH!

If you are starting in Jr Corps you will hopefully have several years to march. I'm green with envy. Good luck!

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Re: OT - Drum Corps 08

Good luck with the tryout. I know you'll do great.

I wrote the horn book for the Velvet Knights in 1991 and 1992. I didn't end up writing for drum corps long term, but my success with VK propelled me into a successful career as an arranger for marching bands.

I got to work with some wonderful people...some of them legends in drum corps and some just folks that loved the activity with a vibrant passion. They loved the corps and they loved the kids. I hope you get a staff like that.

Peace...
    Brad Pearson
    THG Music
    Spokane WA

MacBook Pro (2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo), 3 gig RAM, OS 10.6.5, Finale 2011b, GPO4 & CMB2

Re: OT - Drum Corps 08

Well, I already know 2 guys on staff, my old band director Thom Willett and the visual caption head, Sean McDirmet (I hope I spelled that right).

BTW, I'm going for Euphonium
    Anthony Abruscato

"There are only two types of music: Love Songs and Pirate Music"

HP Pavillion dv6171cl w/ Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit, 2 GB Ram, 250 GB 5200 RPM HD + an external 300 GB HD. GPO, JABB, CAMB, Sibelius 5.1, Finale 2008a, and a demo copy of FL studio.

Go Back to forum