• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sonata for Piano in f-minor III. Allegro

Share/Bookmark

Sonata for Piano in f-minor III. Allegro

I tried to record the 3rd movement of my piano sonata also with GPO Steinway, but I must say that this time I never could reach the sound quality of my former soundfonts so I present this movement as I recorded it 2 years ago with "Merlin" soundfonts.

The main theme is quite catchy, both melodic and passionate. My favourite parts are the end of the exposition, the whole developement (starting at 1:43ff) and again a slow variation of the main theme at the end, like also the first movement ended with a slow variation of it's main theme.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=4391872

Hope you like it too...

Gerd

Re: Sonata for Piano in f-minor III. Allegro

Hey Gerd,

I'm not a big fan of this sort but I have to honestly say you have a very balanced approach to writing for piano. You kept my interest by changes in dynamics, consonance/dissonance, styles, mood, and interplay between the left and right hands.

Great thematic material and development as well.

Great job!

Michael
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Excellent piece--definitely a strong Beethoven influence. One of the themes reminds me of the Tempest Sonata last movement. You definitely write well for the piano. Has a bit of the Apposionatta build up in sound.
    Also liked the fugal parts -- think there was one around the 2:00 mark.
    You have accomplished quite a feat -- truly sounds like a 33rd Beethoven Sonata (not at the end but mixxed in the middle)
    You keep up that excitement and drive so unique to his piano works. Great job. Thank you for posting

Your music is fine but your choice of piano is "synthy" and artificial sounding in my opinion. You said, "...I never could reach the sound quality of my former soundfonts..." There are many people in this forum who would be able to help you to achieve the sound you wish from the GPO sample library. After all, this is a Garritan sample libraries forum.

You also need to read the posting rules above concerning one work at a time on the first forum page.

You are a talented and creative composer and I look forward to hearing more of your enjoyable work.

Regards,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

God, I would kill to be able to write like this...

How long did this take?
    string quartet (ˈstriŋ kwȯr-ˈtet) n. a good violinist, a bad violinist, an ex-violinist, and someone who hates violinists, all getting together to complain about composers

Quote Originally Posted by DanielB
    How long did this take?
    Hi Daniel,
    I don' remember exactly but I think for one movement I needed about 1 month to write on some evenings and weekends a couple of hours a day, altogether maybe 30 hours or so. But it's not the time I spent on my PC, but when I went to work or made a walk in a forest I also was in the process of composing, getting inspiration,... it's not just the editing ...

Gerd

www.gerdprengel.de

Very fine piece with a lot of fire. There seemed to be a mixture of late classical work with almost Baroque contrapuntal writing. But I liked the fiery passion the most.

Cheers,
    YBaCuO

Hello, Gerd

For me, this really is a breath taking modern-classical piece. Before joining this Forum, I'd never encountered people who wanted to write so strictly in established, classic molds - so that's always of interest to me. But it's not always when someone sounds so thoroughly successful in their emulation.

I'm glad that it's been pointed out on this thread that it isn't appropriate to post music which hasn't utilized Garritan libraries. It's not just a free online display case for any and all music - We are guests of Gary Garritan who provides this Listening Room space for us. It's obviously incumbent on us to respect the purposes of this bulletin board.

I'm also glad it was pointed out, again, that there are guidelines posted at the top of the page which ask us to not post new music until our previous post has moved off of the front page.

We all understand that we can have two pieces on page one by accident--Like right now, I have two, because people re-discovered older posts which were on the back pages, and they've boosted them back up here. Beyond my control, and nobody is bothered when that happens.

Please keep sharing your music under the Forum's guidelines.

Randy B.

Ok, now I made a version with GPO:

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6196480

I am not sure which version is the better one (compare with the non-GPO version at http://soundclick.com/share?songid=4391872 )...

Now I work on the Adagio and hope to present this soon.... :-)

Gerd

A very spirited Allegro, Gerd. I liked the use of dynamic
    and harmonic contrast in this, and the clarity of form and
    thematics.

Well done.

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Go Back to forum