• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Yellow Tools Origami?

Share/Bookmark

Yellow Tools Origami?

I need an IR plugin for PC. Anybody working with this? Or have something else to recommend?

Thanks,

Mark

Re: Yellow Tools Origami?

Hi Mark,
    I've never checked on the Origami, so can't say anything about it. I personally use Altiverb + Samplicity IRs. That way, I have cool engine with features like stage-positioning, Altiverb's great factory IR library, which are mostly 'real spaces' (and are fantastic!) and then I have Samplicity IRs of the two marvelous hardware units, which are algorithmic reverbs. That's all I need and what I would (subjectively) recommend.

Best,
    Henry
    NorthernSounds.NET.
    View my profile at NorthernSounds.net
    and visit my homesite: www.henrykiwan.com

I have never used Origami, but since you mention Origami and I see that it is 99USD/99EUR ( better at 99USD at the moment ) I assume that is your budget area and so Altiverb might be beyond what you were considering. If you want to stay in the neighborhood of Origami's price then I think that the Voxengo Pristine Spaces ( http://www.voxengo.com/product/pspace/ ) could be an interesting alternative for you to consider. Voxengo has downloadable demos so you can check it out pretty thoroughly before you buy. Voxengo products are dongle-free.

If you want to go the free route, there are several options and my favorite free options at the moment are:
    SIR - http://www.knufinke.de/sir/sir1.html and
    Freeverb3 - http://freeverb3.sourceforge.net/
    Might as well get both and play around with them as they are free. I prefer the quality of SIR but it works with a fixed latency delay. Freeverb3 is nominally realtime but that puts a bigger hit on CPU. The choice is yours.

SIR also comes in an advanced pay version but that is a bit beyond the Origami/Pristine Spaces price area.

There are all kinds of free IR scattered over the web and a little time with google will lead you to many 100's of MB of .wav IRs.
    Best regards,

Little Red King
    http://luridcactus.com/MusicPage.html

Altiverb and Pristine Space are both excellent options.. Altiverb is a lot more $$. Try the downloadable trial versions of both.

Wizooverb (W2, W25) is a discontinued product but still around here and there. Pick it up while you can, has a very, very good sound (uses Ralph Kessler's HDIRs). Also, it incorporates the only software algorithmic reverb I've heard that doesn't make me cringe.

As a reference point, I've bought and sold Altiverb twice, used Origami (which sounds terrific but I can't recommend YT as a company), own (but rarely use) Sonnox reverb, had a TC4000 for a year, and currently use a Bricasti. Pick Wizoo up for a hundred bucks, a ridiculously good value.

Smile Re: Yellow Tools Origami?

Quote Originally Posted by cleartrueblue
    Wizooverb is a discontinued product but still around here and there. Pick it up while you can, has a very, very good sound (uses Ralph Kessler's HDIRs). Also, it incorporates the only software algorithmic reverb I've heard that doesn't make me cringe.

As a reference point, I used Origami (which sounds terrific but I can't recommend YT as a company), Pick Wizoo up for a hundred bucks, a ridiculously good value.
    cleartrueblue,
    While I partly share (as a user of some of their products) what seems to be your opinion about YT -which IMO is a very slow developing and very clumsy company marketingwise, I cannot easily understand why you can at the same time so wholeheartedly recommend a discontinued product like Wizoozerb, for which any further support is -at the very best- unlikely, and not recommend a YT's product.

YT, even with all the disapointing things one can think of, seems to be here for a while, and let's admit that they always delivered (sometimes with a hhhhuuuge delay, I will agree on that) what they announced.
    Hence, for me, a seemingly "one-legged" but alive company like YT still has some small advantage versus a seemingly dead one lke Wizoo are, as far as a user's trust is concerned.

So I for one would be more interested by your on-topic-and-in-depth-opinion as an Origami user, and would be glad to read your elaborating about the "terrific sound" and what you can tell us about the features, etc.

Then please, give us useful some insight about this mysterious software...
    (Indeed, among several things I don't like too much about YT, there is this total lack of skill in presenting anything from them in a convincing and useful way :
    for example, I myself went to Origami page a few days ago, and there, of course, I did not find any kind of really informative stuff, like a precise list of the available impulses and (worse !!), any single audio example...
    Do they think people will buy a product just by the look of the GUI and a few salespeech words ?)

I think YT is a small company so i assume they do their best under the circumstances.

Wizoo being dead or not doesn't change the awesome qualities of the W2 & W5 reverbs
    Supermicro H8DCE, 2*285 Opterons, 16GB Ram, 3TB WD & Seagate drives, MSI 7600GS & XFX 6600GT, Emu 1820m, Thermaltake 750W PSU, watercooling by Zalman & Innovatek, Windows XP64 SP2, Cubase 4.1

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Kooijman
    Wizoo being dead or not doesn't change the awesome qualities of the W2 & W5 reverbs
    Not right now, of course.
    Call me paranoid, but imagine those scenarios : you purchase Wizooverb today, because it sounds good, but... :
    - in just a few months, an update of your OS (or of your host), will suddenly make Wizooverb mysteriously freeze your computer...
    - in just a few months, there is some unexpected problem with WV copy protection (whatever it is), and it does not launch anymore.

On this day (if this happens of course), with nobody to turn to, the high quality of the plugin will not do you any good.
    I already experienced bitter things with some discontinued stuff I bought (hard and soft), and that probably made me a bit shy about this kind of purchase.

But this was not really my MAIN concern when I posted here :
    I was just a bit disapointed to read such a quick and vague "review" of Origami (the very topic of this post initially) from someone who seems to know (and did use) it.
    As I said, YT did not give me enough food for thought on their page. And being curious about that product (which might be to seriously consider if the ratio price/quality happens to be good), I was expecting more information from a real user.

If you download the FREE version of Independence, it includes the LE version of Origami, that can give you an idea of how it works.
    Marcelo Colina

Go Back to forum