• Register
  • Help

Topic: Old and New

Old and New

Hello everyone,

If any are interested I have posted a new piece, my Duet for Violin and Viola. This piece was requested by two friends of mine who are looking to put on concerts together.

Also, I have revised a VERY old piece for flute, violin and viola.

Thanks for listening,

Re: Old and New

This is very enjoyable.

But I am sitting so far in the back, I can't tell if that is you playing or your friends. JK

But it does seem a long way away.

It's always nice when you are composing a piece that it will actually get performed.

Well done

Really enjoyed the modality of this - the contrapuntal writing reminded me of some of the English composers of the early-ish 20th century. I mean that as a compliment. It's great that you have performers for this - writing for people you know can allow you to "tailor" it. I'm sure your friends will be very happy.
    They are lucky to have you writing for them.

Hope you won't have to wait too long for the performance to become reality.
    Ron Pearl

Hi, Matthew

Upon joining this group just over a year ago now, one of the most interesting things for me was and continues to be how previously I've never been around composers/musicians so immersed in serious modern-classical music.

My background and experience in music is eclectic, mostly having been around self-taught musicians - guitar players, pop, rock, folk, Broadway and various other "naive" music creators.

Hearing your "Duet for Violin and Viola" this morning reminds me vividly again of how fortunate I am, how fortunate all of us are, to gather online to hear such scintillating music as this composition of yours.

I admire this work much, and know you must be looking forward to hearing your friends perform this in concert. Thanks for the preview!

Randy B.

Thanks all.

rolifer, I am going to see if I can't get the mp3 to be a little closer. I don't know why its so far away.

Randy, and rpearl. Thanks for the support. Its funny, in academic circles I'm considered very traditional, but in popular/commercial circles I'm the modern guy.

Lately I have been writing more modern things. But the next thing I will finish will be far more Bruckner-esque. 19th century inspired orchestral stuff. If I ever find time to write again.

P.S. How's the Dorian prodction going Randy?

I really liked the flowing first theme in 3/8 meter in your old flute, violin and viola trio. I believe that you build nice character into this movement.

Darn. Matt, I always have trouble with the Sibelius
    site -- something with my system, choking on their
    ActiveX control... the browser just locks up and stalls
    before the page loads. I tried several times to get a
    listen to this, but no luck.

Would there be another link to this, my friend?

My best,

This way seems to be more stable, David. If that doesn't work I'll put it on one of my other sites.

Go Back to forum