• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: GS3 loading only 13% on my 4GB quad core

Share/Bookmark

Question GS3 loading only 13% on my 4GB quad core

Hi

Well, it's like the title says - just 13%. The memory configuration test advises 13% (or about 210 Mb - pathetic), and indeed whenever I try to load any samples beyond 13% I get the dreaded Unknown System Error window. Kaput.

I've tried all the memory optimisation tweaks in GS, plus the Mattius tweak. Nothing works. I removed Nero completely too, using the CLEAN tool, so it's got nothing to do with that. It's a damn shame. I mean, a brand new 4GB quad-core and I'm getting far far less performance than I had with GS3 and my old 1GB P4 2.8! Terrible.

I even switched to GVI, and although it works fine, its interface is nowhere near as good or usable, IMO, and it doesn't work with the VSL Performance Tool (and, yup, I've been following the set-up guides for that too, and with very unstable results). I want to go back to GS3, but the 13% limit is hugely impractical.

I've read that a lot of multi-core users are having similar problems with GS3, but beyond the memory tweaks, there are no real solutions.

Is there anyone out there who can tell me why this GS3 memory thing is happening and whether it will be cured with GS4?!

My thanks

Re: GS3 loading only 13% on my 4GB quad core

Quote Originally Posted by Not Dudley Simpson
    I've read that a lot of multi-core users are having similar problems with GS3, but beyond the memory tweaks, there are no real solutions.
    Stop reading there.

The multi-core issues were resolved, a very long time ago, in version 3.12.

What version are you trying to run?

— alanb

http://alanb.org

http://www.myspace.com/arsperspicuus

Hi Alan

I'm running the latest version GS3 Orchestral V3.21.2390 - recently updated/patched from the original version on the installation disc.

The system memory configuration is showing 2047mb for total physical memory, and 1536mb available for memory/sample loading. However, like I said, I only get 210mb (13%) from running the memory test, and that's proven when I try to load actual samples above the 13% limit. It's so frustrating.

I'm also running other sample streaming programmes on the PC like VSL's VI SE and some Native Instruments stuff, BUT not at the same time as GS3. This problem seems to be happening independently of any other programme... or is it? I wonder if there is a conflict somewhere along the line.

What do you think?

BTW, the PC is a custom built audio unit from Millennium PCs - they're a very good company, although they didn't bench-test the computer with GS3 during construction at my request - I didn't want to send the original GS3 discs to them through the post. Big mistake it seems!

Just buy the GS4 upgrade from Sweetwater or someone next week or so.

GS3 should be by itself on a DAW anyway.

At least you got it. GS4 will love the RAM and CPU you have, and GS3 will become a nice coaster like so many Cubase 4.0 discs.

I have the Intel DP35DP w/ 4GB's of DDRII and can't wait for the package to come.
    JimmyV

Then again... as customers, we haven't yet had a chance to try GS4. There are no guarantees.

That said, I'm jumping in head first. I'll build a new machine for it. If it works, great! If not, I'll still have my trusty GS3 machine to work with.

Personally, I can't wait to take it for a spin. But not everybody will want to go for it on day one. Some people don't mind taking (and accounting for) risk, working through whatever might come up, and reaping the rewards. Others just want to plug it in and watch it work.

If you're in the latter group, you might wait for some field reports before upgrading. I plan to be making some of those field reports...

[QUOTE=JonFairhurst]Then again... as customers, we haven't yet had a chance to try GS4. There are no guarantees.

That said, I'm jumping in head first. I'll build a new machine for it. If it works, great! If not, I'll still have my trusty GS3 machine to work with.

I'll be right behind you as parts are now coming in for a new Vista 64 machine, well, a dual boot w/ XP. I am going for 8GB of ram what the hey it's dirt cheap. Muskin 2 x 2GB DIMMS for $83 apiece.

Awesome Noel,

I'm glad to see that there are others of us ready to blaze the trail.

I don't mean to be negative about being at the front of the line. It's just that people should go in with their eyes open. Those who are going to try installing it on an old Acer with a Sound Blaster - only to complain when things aren't perfect - might want to hold off. Once there are some known systems that work, jump right in! (But probably not with the Acer/SB PC.)

Then again, GVI4 is probably good to go right out of the chute. It will probably run just fine on that Acer!

But you, Jimmy and I aren't looking at last year's machine. Personally, I can't wait to get 64-bits going with some serious RAMage - and a host that plays many, many gig files along with non-gig VIs...

So the advice is to upgrade to GS4 when it comes out, yes? Well that's fine, I'd like to do that, BUT how can I be sure the same problem wouldn't re-occur? I'd be very upset to waste my money. There's no GS demo, so it's a shot in the dark with a non-refundable price tag attached.

It would be really cool if there were a demo. I have no idea if that is planned for GS4.

Hey NDS,

Quote Originally Posted by Not Dudley Simpson
    The system memory configuration is showing 2047mb for total physical memory, and 1536mb available for memory/sample loading. However, like I said, I only get 210mb (13%) from running the memory test, and that's proven when I try to load actual samples above the 13% limit. It's so frustrating.

[...]

BTW, the PC is a custom built audio unit from Millennium PCs - they're a very good company, although they didn't bench-test the computer with GS3 during construction at my request - I didn't want to send the original GS3 discs to them through the post. Big mistake it seems!
    These are two potentially-useful threads to run through regarding GS3 and memory-issues:

http://www.learngigastudio.com/forum...read.php?t=101

http://www.learngigastudio.com/forum...read.php?t=123

-------

13% sounds seriously low... but remember, since GS3 can only access a theoretical maximum of 1.1GB, you will never see a "MemTest" value higher than roughly 22% on a 4GB system... still, something is definitely out-of-the-ordinary here.

One possibility is that your video card or something else is "forcing" its driver to load into kernel memory (some do that, I have read), and that is preventing you from using those memory blocks for GS3.

Using Windows Task Manager and following msg32.exe, see if you have the problem with all sounds (try loading some large instruments and then some small ones), or whether you only have the limitation with some of them...

I could not load SampleTekk pianos before I discovered Mattias' tweak, but I could load about 1GB of other samples... and it took a while to find the numbers that happened to work well with my machine. How many different combinations did you try with Mattias' app?

-------

What are your polyphony settings in GS3's Configuration Manager?

Look under the Polyphony slider (under the "Synthesizer" tab)... what percentage of your system memory is allocated to "streaming samples," and what percentage is allocated to "loading instruments"?

Have you tried different settings?

-------

Maybe the problem has something to do with the way that your Windows Page File is set. You say that you tried all of the optimization tweaks "in GS"... but make sure that you've implemented all of the recommended Windows tweaks at http://www.musicxp.net/dnn/

— alanb

http://alanb.org

http://www.myspace.com/arsperspicuus

Go Back to forum