• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: opinions of colossus, ra?

Share/Bookmark

opinions of colossus, ra?

just curious if any users have opinions of these two sample sets? i'm interested in getting a good variety of unique instruments, but am wondering about the individual instrument quality. do they have plenty of multisamples and velocity layers? quality recordings? does it vary from instrument to instrument? i'm into the idea of getting a ton of instruments from one purchase, but i'm worried that its strictly quantity over quality. demos sound decent, but details on just how thoroughly the various instruments are sampled is scarce.

Re: opinions of colossus, ra?

I have both. I have used both of them in films and they are pretty good. The amount of velocity layering could be better, though. I use them mainly for colours in scores (the digeridoo, for example).

The fretted instruments are good in RA, and the Colossus has a small library of extremely useful mod-wheel-affected drones that are absolutely cool and usable, without calling too much attention to themselves. I know drones doesn't sound like much of a selling point but these are really good.

I am guessing, though, that if you want the latest and greatest from East-West, you are looking at Goliath, Gypsy, Fab Four, Ministry of Rock, etc. I use Colossus and Ra when I want 2 bars of, say, a string bass or organ or something, but I doubt that they are the best EWQL has to offer. Cheap, though, and usable.

I am also looking at "Plectrum," if you want interesting, unconventional sounds. Still the same questions that you raised regarding Ra and Colossus -- about multisampling, velocities, round-robins, and so on. But again, the demos are cool.
    Kind regards,

John
    www.johngrahammusic.com

I have Collosus and it's pretty darn good. I got it when it was $1000, I think it's a lot less expensive now. I mostly use it for acoustic guitars. To be honest I have so many soft synths that I really don't use it much any more. I like the fact that it is decent on the CPU. I own Gold Pro XP so I never use the orch sounds in it. There are a few other all-in-one synths out there. Muse, VI ONE, etc. A lot of people were digging the Storm Drone presets but I have yet to find any use for them in my music. The bottom line is East West makes good stuff but don't expect Colossus to be the only synth you'll want. However, it definitely covers all of the basses (no pun intended ) and has some great standout sounds. It will just leave you pining for RA, Platinum, etc.

2 Cents,

Darren
    www.darrenpasdernick.com
    "Every time you play a wrong note God kills a kitten."

Quote Originally Posted by JohnG
    I doubt that they are the best EWQL has to offer. Cheap, though, and usable.
    ??!!!!!
    Please tell me you're joking. Just because a sample library is a couple of years old, it doesn't mean it automatically becomes defunct, or even second best. In terms of world instruments there is still very little that surpasses RA. The BelaD anthology is more playable and realistic, but, so far, has a much narrower scope. The KongAudio stuff is more comprehensive in its articulations, but, again, so far only a few instruments.

Certainly there is nothing from EastWest which has replaced RA - it is still their flagship ethnic library. The newer Play libraries do a very different job.

I own RA, and can vouch for it being absolutely superb. Scientist, you really won't be disappointed if you buy it - particularly at its current price.

thanks for the info...i'm full up with synth sounds (reaktor, voyager, alesis ion)...i'm mostly interested in unique "real" instruments to add texture to more conventional settings, but really need the instruments to be able to stand on their own. i think ra is the best bet, since i think colossus covers ground that i've already got covered.

@pingu: so how varied is the typical instrument in ra? e.g. number of velocity layers, round robin, etc?

and for everyone this is a perfect example of the kind of quality i like, and i recommend it to anyone:
    http://www.virb.com/dulcitone1884
    its far from "perfect", but has a very unique and playable character to it.

Quote Originally Posted by scientist
    @pingu: so how varied is the typical instrument in ra? e.g. number of velocity layers, round robin, etc?

and for everyone this is a perfect example of the kind of quality i like, and i recommend it to anyone:
    http://www.virb.com/dulcitone1884
    its far from "perfect", but has a very unique and playable character to it.
    I don't know about the velocity layers, or round robin, since, up to now, I've always used RA in the Kompakt player it comes bundled with - which means you can't poke around the samples as you can in Kontakt. Probably very lazy of me, but the RA menu is hardwired into the player as a dropdown, which minimizes browsing time to load an instrument. I would go and look for you, but RA isn't installed at the moment - I've just gone from two to three machines, and am in the middle of redistributing all my plugins, which is going to take some time.

I have the Dulcitone too, and the prepared harpsichord and steel drums - they're fantastic. I love instruments that have quirks - it feels like playing something real.

Anyway, sorry I couldn't be of more help, but there are loads of RA owners here, so keep bumping.

Ra has fantastic recording quality across the board. Everything is clean, detailed, and dry, so they work in virtually any context. Velocity layers and round robins depend on the instrument... drums tend to have lots of velocity layers, and plucked/strummed instruments often have round robins (eg. up and down strokes.) Plus there are usually tons of articulations per instrument. On average, each individual instrument (there are around 80-100) gets about 100-200mb.

If you're looking for extreme depth, like say.. 2-3gb dedicated to a single instrument... then you might have to look elsewhere, but there aren't a lot of dedicated single-instrument sample libraries. Anthology stuff from Bela D and the American Zither would be the only releases I can think of.
    Zircon Studios - Original music for media, electronica, sound design, and synthesis.

I have to say John that there are better sampled Didgeridoos out there.
    They couldn't even record a proper instrument it has the wrong harmonics and resonance.

RA is otherwise a fabulous product and look forward to a follow up, because it set a precedence.
    If I need some sampled winds I use the Bela D Spiritual winds and it is fabulous in it's sound and playability.

Simon
    www.sounds-and-images.co.uk

And now also at Flickr!

http://flickr.com/photos/sounds-and-images/

www.myspace.com/simonfielder

NorthernSounds.NET.
    View Simon Fielder's Profile at NorthernSounds.net

Quote Originally Posted by SimonF
    I have to say John that there are better sampled Didgeridoos out there.
    That was probably a very poor choice of examples -- I did use it but it was in a cue that also included live guitars, mandolin, strings, and bass, with the digeridoo just playing colour at the low end in the tail!

So not exactly a featured performance...

But anyway, in reading my initial post I would say it may come across as less positive than I am -- I use both libraries all the time, but in a generally "orchestra +" context, where the instruments aren't necessarily quite as conspicuous as they would be in a pop or more contemporary-oriented chart.

If I have a solo guitar or something like that I hire somebody -- there's still no substitute -- but for stuff with other sounds or even a synth bed, both Ra and Colossus are still very good.
    Kind regards,

John
    www.johngrahammusic.com

RA does not come with a ton of sounds for the price tag but the sounds are quite good.
    Composer, Logic Certified Trainer, Level 2,
    author of "Going Pro with Logic Pro 9."

www.jayasher.com

Go Back to forum