• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: GS4 POLL: Systems that WORK

Share/Bookmark

GS4 POLL: Systems that WORK

Hi everybody. You might remember the thread that I started when GS3 was first released called "GS3 POLL: Systems that WORK."

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=25063

Well, I'm starting this thread for GS4 Systems that WORK.

Of course, GS4 isn't quite shipping yet, so we can only share what we are going to try at this point. But soon, we should have some real lists of processors, mobos, soundcards and other goodies that work with GS4.

We have some new considerations. We are now dealing with 64-bit systems, including both Vista 64 and XP64. I assume that we will also be dealing with GSIF64 (or whatever they call it) audio drivers. Another change is that GS4 can host VSTis, so we will want to track what virtual instruments GS4 can host, and which ones it doesn't like.

I'll do my best to keep this thread alive and well. The information here could save some people a lot of time and energy.

GS4 here we come!!!

Re: GS4 POLL: Systems that WORK

If my info and assumptions are correct, we will see GS4 in late March or early April. Here are some initial clues about what to buy to make systemsthatwork.

CPU: Get a dual core, rather than a quad core. One core is for the sampler and GigaPulse, the other is for plug ins. I'm not surprised that more cores are not used - it's costly to move data between cores, and difficult to do so in Kernel mode.

I recommend an Intel E8400. It's their latest dual core chip, and uses the 45nm process, so it should run cool. The E8500 is only a touch faster. The E8200 is only a bit cheaper. The E8400 is like Baby Bear's porridge.

Motherboard: This is the gamble. I've always used Asus boards. Some don't like their customer service and recommend Intel boards. We will see...

RAM: GS4 can drive as much RAM as you can fit. None of the desktop boards go beyond 8GB, so that's the target. Get something with fast timing, so you don't have to clobber the settings to get it to work. And run Prime95 overnight before loading any software. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_95

OS: GS4 will work on Vista 64 or XP 64. (It also runs on 32-bit systems, but what would be the point?) XP 64 is said to be more efficient, so that's my top choice. A dual boot system makes a lot of sense. I wonder which of the Vista 64 versions would be best...

Soundcard: For 64-bits a soundcard that supports GSIF 2.1 is required. The Tascam FW series supports GSIF 2.1. RME's HDSP9652 will also support 2.1. Hopefully there will be others (Echo?), but nothing is announced yet.

Hard Drives: Nothing new here. Raptors rock. Multiple, independent drives (not RAID) are great to have. Fast seek times are the most important spec. Same story as for GS3.

Video Card: You don't need anything special here. Get something without a fan. I hear that the Asus/Geforce EAX1600 Pro (fanless) works with GS4.

The other components hardly matter. I like a quiet PC, so I'll look here: http://silentpcreview.com/ for power supply, heatsink, case and fans.

GS4 here we come...

Cool Re: GS4 POLL: Systems that WORK

Hi Jon

While you're waiting...

Assuming Windows Pro XP 64

"one core is for sampler and Gigapulse, the other for plug ins" How do you assign programs to a specific core and is one core a better choice than the other core for the various programs?

The ASUS manual says that the full 8 GB of memory will not be recognized. What does that mean for usage and how much of it will be used?

You seem to remain firm and consistent on the Memtest.

best to you,
    tony h
    tony h
    Master Comp. P5 deluxe intel dual core, Windows XP Pro, 4G ram, HD's=OS Audio, two samples, Cubase 3/4 , GVI Kirk Hunter Concert strings, KH Concert brass, Emerald, Miroslav strings, brass, Quantum Leap brass. DAW and Master comp by pcaudiolabs- Slave Comp for VI only, Gigabyte Intel ,8G ram, ethernet, Windows Vista Ultimatex64, VI Ensemble,VI SE Appasionata strings.

Hi Jamiha,

Yeah, definitely XP64. For now. Hopefully Vista will improve for audio, since Microsoft won't support/sell XP64 forever.

> "How do you assign programs to a specific core and is one core a better choice than the other core for the various programs?"

You don't have to worry about it. Tascam simply programs one thread for the kernel stuff and another thread for the plugz. The processor assigns them automatically. I don't think there's any differences between the two cores. They're identical (sub) processors.

> "The ASUS manual says that the full 8 GB of memory will not be recognized."

That's for a 32-bit OS. A 64-bit OS should be able to recognize it all. It's possible that you will need to upgrade your mobo's BIOS for it to be 100% 64-bit OS and 8GB compatible.

What mobo do you have?

Jon

The specs for my computer are below in my signature. This is the computer that wouldn't play G3. Has a lot of pop and cracks in GVI when loaded with larger orchestra.

I've downloaded Memtest several times but can't get it to load. I use this Mac for the internet, so have to burn a disk to get the download to the DAW. I am loading the 32bit version, but no stogie.

best
    tony h
    tony h
    Master Comp. P5 deluxe intel dual core, Windows XP Pro, 4G ram, HD's=OS Audio, two samples, Cubase 3/4 , GVI Kirk Hunter Concert strings, KH Concert brass, Emerald, Miroslav strings, brass, Quantum Leap brass. DAW and Master comp by pcaudiolabs- Slave Comp for VI only, Gigabyte Intel ,8G ram, ethernet, Windows Vista Ultimatex64, VI Ensemble,VI SE Appasionata strings.

Clicks and pops with GVI? You probably have WinXP system services stealing your processor here and there. I run the following on my XP machines to improve their real-time performance:

http://videoguys.com/TweaksWINXPVE.html
    http://videoguys.com/WinXP2.html

Here's a detailed overview:
    http://videoguys.com/WinXP.html

So is this correct that GS4 will not use a quad core processor? Will it still work but just not be taken advantage of? I'm building a new system and would like to make it as powerful as possible while staying compatible. I have a system with a PIV 2.4 in it now. What kind of difference will I see between this and a dual core 2.66? The system I'm completely replacing though is an Athlon 1.6 running Win98.

thanks!

[QUOTE=JonFairhurst;558674]If my info and assumptions are correct, we will see GS4 in late March or early April. Here are some initial clues about what to buy to make systemsthatwork.

CPU: Get a dual core, rather than a quad core. One core is for the sampler and GigaPulse, the other is for plug ins. I'm not surprised that more cores are not used - it's costly to move data between cores, and difficult to do so in Kernel mode.

I recommend an Intel E8400. It's their latest dual core chip, and uses the 45nm process, so it should run cool. The E8500 is only a touch faster. The E8200 is only a bit cheaper. The E8400 is like Baby Bear's porridge.

I have 2 GS3 machines that I will not be able to afford to replace the hardware at this time... In my checking, all of the components have support for 64 bit OS, I have RME HDSP 9652s and MidiOverLAN as the only thing running on those boxes and they should both be ok, I bought 2 copies of xp64 and I hope this is going to let me run GS4 with at least the 4 gigs of ram each that I have. Of course I will do 1 machine at a time and make sure I am happy with it before breaking down the other.... But I really hope that GS4 is going to run ok for me.... P5N-SLI and P5N-E SLI MBs, sata drives, nothing too ancient... I really hope its going to be ok because i really want to get use out of my GS4s pre ordered... Cross your fingers with me and when it all comes in I will post how they work
    Christopher Kennedy Alpiar
    Cinematic Composer
    www.alpiar.com

Quote Originally Posted by Judson View Post
    So is this correct that GS4 will not use a quad core processor? Will it still work but just not be taken advantage of?
    Yes, GS4 will still work on a quad core, but will only use two cores for processing.

If you run other apps on the machine, such as an MP4 video encoder, a quad would still make sense.

If you already have a quad, use it. For a brand new, optimized GS4 system, get the fastest dual core available. (Currently that's the E8500. I'll probably get the E8400 since it's nearly as fast and a good bit cheaper.)

If you will run your sequencer on the same machine as GS4, a quad might just be the ticket. Two cores for GS4 and one or more for the sequencer...

Thanks for the info. The giga machine will be a dedicated gigastudio with no other software running except for VSTi's I hope to run inside of gigastudio. Vienna Inst maybe? I haven't purchased anything yet so I'll spring for the 8500. Any particular motherboard recommendations? or just an asus with an intel chipset?

thank you!

Judson

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst View Post
    Yes, GS4 will still work on a quad core, but will only use two cores for processing.

If you run other apps on the machine, such as an MP4 video encoder, a quad would still make sense.

If you already have a quad, use it. For a brand new, optimized GS4 system, get the fastest dual core available. (Currently that's the E8500. I'll probably get the E8400 since it's nearly as fast and a good bit cheaper.)

If you will run your sequencer on the same machine as GS4, a quad might just be the ticket. Two cores for GS4 and one or more for the sequencer...

Go Back to forum