Gary

hi-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getpl...d=6187791&q=hi

HERE'S A RE-DO
    @ND VERSION
    hi-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getpl...d=6191199&q=hi
    Last edited by garymosse; 01-21-2008 at 01:22 AM. Reason: spelling

Re: Saxes-More Than You May Expect

Gary,

I think this is great writing. I like your grasp on harmony and rhythm and can imagine very well this piece to be performed on stage.

On the mixing side my impression was that there was some dynamics but it sounded more like somebody turning a volume knob up and down. In-note dynamics were missing completely.

But if I take this as a proofreading for a composition that is to be released on paper and performed by live players, I want to say bravo!!!

Hannes
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

Thanks for listening, Hannes.
    I've been looking for the Finale dynamics tool which allows more variance
    than the ppp-fff range. As a player, I always felt that the ppp & fff were
    overdone, but as a composer, I feel a need for ranges in-between mf & f, etc.
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by garymosse
    Gary
    Gary,

Use the Expression editor. Select the mf button and then click on your score to open the Expression Selection window. If you want to see the setting of mf, for example, single click it and then select the Edit button. Then select the Playback tab to switch to the playback settings. The Key Velocity selects the Set To Value value as the velocity setting for notes that follow on that staff. The higher the number the louder the sound will output.

If you want to create custom values I would recommend leaving the built in settings. You can duplicate the defaults and change the setting to what ever you want. I would give them special names so that they are not confused with the default values.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

I agree with Hannes. But overlooking this... it is great.

Raymond

Gary,
    Thanks for replying about the dynamic settings.

Thanks for listening, Raymond.

Gary

Not my style of music, but I did find it compelling to listen to for some strange reason. It sort of grabs you and pulls you in.

I agree with the dynamics that others have described, but that can be fixed. I am a sib user myself, so no help to you.

Well done

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by garymosse
    Gary
    Like everyone has said, you can add alot more expression with more dynamics.

The difference between Finale and human players is that we don't play it exactly the same each time. When a human see "f" it means different things to different people and it doesn't stay constant.

As Gary Bric said, add custom dynamics. In Finale the mf has a value of 75 and f is at 88. So what I do is create two additional dynamics to add between those two. mf+ at 79 and mf++ at 84. I make these dynamics visible only on screen, they will not print. I add them all over the place. Along with tons of tiny hairpins. Same thing with other custom dynamics. And lots of slurs/phrase markings too.

My theory is that a horn player will always increase the volume slightly when ascending in pitch, and decrease volujme slightly when descending in pitch. And each instrument doesn't make these changes at the same time or on the same midi value.

You can also create custom articulations, make several accents with different percentage of velocity. I believe that to get a Finale score playing back very expressively, you need to add more of this information than you would if writing for live players. You can do all of this without even touching Finale's midi tool. (unless you want to)

By using these techniques, I've taken my Finale files, used the Apply Human Playback plugin (which writes this info into the file itself), then exported a midi and opened it in a sequencer. When I view this midi data in the sequencer the controllers are extremely active, they very rarely are static. I believe this is what helps give a recording much more musical nuance.

Good luck,
    Jeff

Thanks for more info, Jeff. Every little bit helps.
    It's hard for me to believe that every nuance will be realized by
    computer, but I think it's a lot better than just a few years ago.
    Thanks for listening, Ron.
    If my music has any intrinsic value, it can be interesting to many listeners. I don't change styles too much, but sometimes I go "full throttle.
    Gary

The occasions of volumetric sin aside, Gary, an
    interesting piece.

I can't even begin to guess what you're doing to
    cause that with the dynamics.

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast