• Register
  • Help

Topic: Garritan causing cubase to crash?

Garritan causing cubase to crash?

Hello, i am new here and would be grateful if anyone could shed some light on the following problem.

I have been using the Garritan packages with Cubase SL2 for a couple of years now and have had no problems.

I have just got a new computer and installed everything. (windows xp, intel quad core 2.4, 2gb ram). I have installed the kp2 update and am still able to use the kontakt p1, by copying the files to the back up folder - as mentioned elsewhere here.

I started a project using the old jabb and gpo players - i haven't looked too much at the new player and wanted to do something quickly, and thought using the old players should be ok.

I spent ages loading up the instruments i needed, etc - when i tried to re-load the project, i got the errort message - "a serious technical problem has occured, please try and re-name you file, etc"

So the file was corrupt and i started again - this time i saved back up copies of the project as i went along, to see if this would happen again. The next day, i try to open the file, and get the same message - even with the back up copies.

I don't know for sure that it is Garritan, but it does seem to be with large projects - i don't know if i have some problem with the ram settings on my pc, or how to check them.

Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Garritan causing cubase to crash?

Hi Andy,

Yes, VST's on occasion can corrupt project files. Native Instruments-powered plugins tend more often than not to be the culprit. KP2 may be more stable in this regard. For the record, it has never happened to me with either version.

The files are probably not recoverable outside of work Steinberg could do. Try uninstalling and reinstalling GPO and Cubase completely with a restart between them to prevent it from happening on further projects in case it is an issue with a corrupt file from either program.

Go Back to forum