• Register
  • Help

Topic: A composer thanks you, Mr. G!

Share/Bookmark

A composer thanks you, Mr. G!

As an Autistic Savant, your work brings a joy to my heart.

As a composer with a world class vision but neurologically limited computer skills, I find your continuing efforts to make computer music ever more accessible at a price point that is revolutionary, a truly worthy addition to music and humankind...and for that I am grateful...

Thanks!

Re: A composer thanks you, Mr. G!

Wow imagegod! All this time I never knew this about you. If you wish please tell us more about yourself as it may be an inspiration to others.

Thank you for the kind words.

All the best,

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    Wow imagegod! All this time I never knew this about you. If you wish please tell us more about yourself as it may be an inspiration to others.

Thank you for the kind words.

All the best,

Gary

I’d love to tell you more about myself…thanks for the invitation Mr. G!

Autism is a ‘spectrum’ disease, meaning it’s possible to be a little (or severly) Autistic. Fortunately, my Autism (Aspergers, to be specific) is not severe at all. If you met me, you’d never notice it...at least not at first.

But as a so-called Savant and Artist, (I’m finishing up 4 novels, 1 book of short stories, a large portfolio of images, a CD’s worth of Classical music and an unproduced portfolio of so called ‘popular’ songs) Autism restricts me is some rather severe ways…including the ability to comprehend new software. Which of course is one of the reasons I’m so grateful for you and your company…

I have a vision for music outside of my own music: I would like to see a simple (or at least simplified) solution to classical music production...an 'all in one' solution that encompasses samples, a sample player and a sequencer...all working together with little or no effort on the users behalf outside of the actual music production. I don't want to buy a sequencer and find out my samples don't work in it...or vica versa. I don't want to buy samples and find out they don't play well with other samples. I don't want a sequencer update to change how everything interacts...and how I interact with everything.

I want everything simplified to the nth degree...if only because truly great compositions are so very difficult to create. With today's technology, this is not a chimera.

I'd like this dream software to be taught in school like english or math...or at least a very rudimentary version taught...I could go on...my vision is extremely ambitious.

After I'm published (hopeful 3-4 years) that's something I'll be working on...hopefully with individuals as dedicated as you!

Thanks for listening and thanks for all your good work...it's very much appreciated!

My sister is autistic too, but quite severe. No means of communcation with her is possible. Besides the autism she suffers from a serious brain damage, so that adds to it. Go on, please. I am touched by your story and it gives me much pleasure to see that our brains are capable of doing this unexpectedly.

Hope to see your first musical production, presented in the Listening Room.

Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by imagegod
    As an Autistic Savant, your work brings a joy to my heart.

As a composer with a world class vision but neurologically limited computer skills, I find your continuing efforts to make computer music ever more accessible at a price point that is revolutionary, a truly worthy addition to music and humankind...and for that I am grateful...

Thanks!
    Thank you for communicating about yourself, imagegod. This gives me the courage to bring up my own challenge--a "mild traumatic brain injury"--doubled (from 2 incidents), combined with a very limited computer background.

What you say about needing the software to be extremely simple and hassle-free so you can focus unobstruckedly on creating your beautiful and intricate music really strikes home.

In my own case it affects things like focus, organization, and short-term memory, so that even if I learn new software (which takes great perseverance and a clear explanation), I may not remember what I learned and must repeat the process multiple times. It's why I'm still using Garageband, though it's too limited in so many ways. Logic is going to take some real help (and a better computer). Certain things that would be no big deal for most of the people here, like using multiple computers, would be impossibly complex.

People often get impatient with me, and it even gets embarrassing. But it's worth it for the music, which flows forth in unending streams and calls out to be expressed and shared while still on this earth. And as with you, there's also writing, but in this case it's on the back burner for now. I will mention I've experienced dramatic help from hyperbaric oxygen (along with certain supplements), which reversed a downhill spiral.

And so I join with you in expressing thanks to Gary for his dedication to developing simple, integrated, and affordable software for all composers. It's exciting to watch all the new developments!

Best of luck with all your endeavors. It's that kind of dedication and long-term vision that will bring success.

Saraswati

Quote Originally Posted by Saraswati
    Thank you for communicating about yourself, imagegod. What you say about needing the software to be extremely simple and hassle-free so you can focus unobstruckedly on creating your beautiful and intricate music really strikes home.

And so I join with you in expressing thanks to Gary for his dedication to developing simple, integrated, and affordable software for all composers. It's exciting to watch all the new developments!

Saraswati
    You're welcome...

From my perspective, I think making a complete (and completely integrated) music system (Sequencer/samples/player) that's transparent to the creative process, that can be updated without radically changing the artistic process while maintaining backward compatibility; a system that requires close to zero theoretical knowledge is the holy grail of compositional tools. I also think that given the state of technology (and the accelerating change of technology) this can be a reality.

It's what I'm looking for personally, but I'm also convinced that something fitting within these parameters could change the way the general population views (and potentially participates in) classical composition.

A big YES to all of the above! A first step is always to identify and state clearly the need or aim, which you've just done admirably. I'm wondering if this new alliance Gary has with Yamaha, Steinberg, and MakeMusic might lead to the kind of creative collaboration needed for what you describe. Could be interesting...

Saraswati

Thanks for sharing about yourself.Being able to communicate so well on this forum and for so long one would never know.

Atustistic people and savants are very special people. I know someone who works with musical savants. David Pinto, a piano teacher for musical savants, said in a 60 minutes interview, “As a composer I’ve had dreams where I went though a complete concerto that was impeccable, and it just rolled off, as a dream. Obviously, that means that it’s inside of us. Well, these kids can do that dream. There’s just nothing in between it.”
    Imagine that - going from dream to reality with nothing in between.

Here are transcripts of the 60 Minute segment dealing with David's work:
    http://sixtyminutes.ninemsn.com.au/a...aspx?id=259419
    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/...18_page2.shtml

Maybe these savants can access the music because there is little getting in the way. I like your vision for music production - "everything simplified to the nth degree." - nothing getting in the way between dream and actuality.

This is something we are striving for in the tools we develop.

Thanks again for sharing that you did and I wish you great success and fulfillment in your endeavors!

My best

Gary

Go Back to forum