• Register
  • Help

Topic: Steinway, Gary, NAMM!

Share/Bookmark

Steinway, Gary, NAMM!

Hey all! I just flew back from NAMM, and boy are my jokes tired!

Many thanks to Gary for the ticket. I spent three fun days in California, two at NAMM. One could walk for hours on end without seeing everything, but somehow, one of the very first things I saw on Saturday was the Garritan booth, complete with the new MIDI fireplace!

Here's me and Gary enjoying a nice glass of cognac by the Steinway fire. The coveted official Steinway Model D brochure is just over my shoulder.

Gary let me play with the Steinway a bit, and I was very impressed with the sound. I got quite nosy with questions about the technology and features, and Gary and team made me feel quite at home, answering even the most pestering of inquiries.

The program allows you to position the microphones in multiple positions to give different perspectives and tone variation. I was very happy listening to the subtle and realistic variation in tone at different velocities. The sound was very alive in long sustains; I was not given the impression of a static loop. The release was natural sounding as well. I didn't ask, but I am assuming there are multiple note-release samples.

There were selectable tuning temperaments, and "una corde" samples, as well. Seems like everything is being thrown at this library to make it as playable as possible.

One thing I was really hoping for was sympathetic string resonance. Bingo! There it was! Silently hold down a C Major chord and strike a short sharp low C. The chord rings!

Beautiful work, Gary and team! I'll surely be adding this to my collection when it's out (in a few weeks!) Oh, and I almost forgot to mention... no more NI Service Center!
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Cool Re: Steinway, Gary, NAMM!

how was the ppp transition to pf

Re: Steinway, Gary, NAMM!

This sounds fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Skysaw
    Oh, and I almost forgot to mention... no more NI Service Center!
    This, for me, is the icing on the cake. I'm really looking forward to my first library using the new player. This will either be GEM or the Garritan organ.

A huge well done to Gary and his team.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

This is UNFAIR to all of us europeans! I won't stop repeating that!

I have 2 pianos, but I think I'll go for the third very very very very very soon...

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_uk
    . This will either be GEM or the Garritan organ.
    GEM??????? A new instrument or some jewel?

Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62
    GEM??????? A new instrument or some jewel?

Raymond
    Hello Raymond,

GEM = Garritan General MIDI. Gary's new library of sampled .. yes .. sampled MIDI instruments and effects

It is ready and was originally with KP2 but after more fluffing around by NI Gary made the decision to delay it until ARIA is ready.

I know this is a bit off topic so to bring it back on topic, the new Steinway library is Gary's first library with the new player so this is leading the way for the other libraries.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Aaaahhhh, Gary...
    I see that guy across from us at the Indy summer NAMM a couple years ago made an impression on you...you got the COMFY COUCH...

Your chief weapons are.....

Quote Originally Posted by Skysaw
    Hey all! I just flew back from NAMM, and boy are my jokes tired!

Many thanks to Gary for the ticket. I spent three fun days in California, two at NAMM. One could walk for hours on end without seeing everything, but somehow, one of the very first things I saw on Saturday was the Garritan booth, complete with the new MIDI fireplace!

Here's me and Gary enjoying a nice glass of cognac by the Steinway fire. The coveted official Steinway Model D brochure is just over my shoulder.

Gary let me play with the Steinway a bit, and I was very impressed with the sound. I got quite nosy with questions about the technology and features, and Gary and team made me feel quite at home, answering even the most pestering of inquiries.

The program allows you to position the microphones in multiple positions to give different perspectives and tone variation. I was very happy listening to the subtle and realistic variation in tone at different velocities. The sound was very alive in long sustains; I was not given the impression of a static loop. The release was natural sounding as well. I didn't ask, but I am assuming there are multiple note-release samples.

There were selectable tuning temperaments, and "una corde" samples, as well. Seems like everything is being thrown at this library to make it as playable as possible.

One thing I was really hoping for was sympathetic string resonance. Bingo! There it was! Silently hold down a C Major chord and strike a short sharp low C. The chord rings!

Beautiful work, Gary and team! I'll surely be adding this to my collection when it's out (in a few weeks!) Oh, and I almost forgot to mention... no more NI Service Center!
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Jamie

It was a real pleasure meeting one of the stellar composers of this forum. I enjoyed hearing you play the Steinway. I only wish I had more time to spend with you.

Thanks for coming by (and also for the Vesuvius score) and am looking forward to seeing you again!

My best,

Gary

Go Back to forum