• Register
  • Help

Topic: SLIGHTLY Lowing Reverb in Timpani in Finale 2008

Share/Bookmark

SLIGHTLY Lowing Reverb in Timpani in Finale 2008

I'm using Finale 2008. Is there a way to slightly lower the reverb on only the timpani to where it doesn't have as much of an echo while not creating a gunshot effect? The amount of reverb it has right now isn't suitable for what I want to write.

Re: SLIGHTLY Lowing Reverb in Timpani in Finale 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Cransworth
    I'm using Finale 2008. Is there a way to slightly lower the reverb on only the timpani to where it doesn't have as much of an echo while not creating a gunshot effect? The amount of reverb it has right now isn't suitable for what I want to write.
    Hello Cransworth,

The actual samples themselves are dry and carry no effects. The reverb in Finale is a blanket effect added to all sounds so the first thing I would suggest is to try changing the reverb settings which, of course, will affect all instruments. If this suits your needs you can find the reverb settings under: Midi/Audio/VST Setup. Near the bottom of the VST window you should find the 'Ambience Reverb' box ticked. Click on the 'Edit' button to the side and you will have the 'Garritan Ambience Presets' where you can adjust as much as you want.

If you want to adjust the reverb for the Timpani only then you will need to disable the reverb in Finale by unticking the 'Ambience Reverb Box' then setting the reverb for each individual instrument in the Kontakt Player. I have to confess that I'm not entirely sure if this is possible in the Kontakt Player shipped with Finale. If this is the way you want to go then post back and we can make more enquiries.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

You can definitely do this in the KP2 VST that comes with Finale. It's pretty easy once you know what you're doing. Randy Bowser (rbowser) and maybe a few others have posted instructions/hints about how to do this, but I can't recall the exact title of those threads. A search on the keywork "reverb" might help you find it. Or perhaps Randy will be generous enough to post it here again.
    Best Regards,
    Ernie

Okay. I'll that those things.

Thanks for your help.

Have you tried using "Save special" to save two audio files. First, mute the timpani and save a WAV file; then mute everything but the timpani and lower the reverb setting, and save to a different file.

Combine the two files in an audio editor...?

Go Back to forum