• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Calliope Flauta-

Share/Bookmark

Calliope Flauta-

I have received word that this piece will be performed this Spring. I'll comment more after it's announced.
    I've spent about as much time getting the parts and score fixed as it took to write the piece.
    It's ironic that we've discussed dynamics on the sax quartet since this piece has even more dynamics involved. Let me know if you think even wider range of dynamics would be better.
    Gary
    hi-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getpl...d=5852000&q=hi

Re: Calliope Flauta-

Well congratulations Gary!

A very playful and intricate work here; probably deserves a few "look overs" with the score. I'm sure it will sound wonderful live! This definitely has an odd little abstract quality to it that is very intriguing.

Great work!

Michael
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Thanks for listening, Michael.
    I don't begin with complexity in mind; it seems to grow on its own, by necessity.
    Gary

I felt very comfortable listening to this although it seems so strange. I think this would be an intriguing piece for an audience.

It also sounds like it would work well with art animation.

Phil

Thanks for listening, Phil.
    I always enjoy your comments.
    It's kinda like I'm from a distant planet...right? ha!
    Gary

This is a gorgeous little piece. Complex in a lot of ways. Being a flautist I can imagine playing this would involve quite a lot of work. In your introductory post you mention the use of dynamics. If this is to be played live you shouldn't worry too much about dynamics. Flutes have a rather limited dynamic range within each register, unlike the clarinette. That said dynamics are achieved better by using the right register for the right dynamic. ie if you want very loud you will use the third register and if you really want soft and delicate you will use the lower register. In your rendition of the piece I didn't feel the dynamics. It sounded not like playing louder and softer but rather somehow moving closer or farther away from the instruments. ie the timbre didn't match the dynamics. I'm not sure if I am making any sense, sometimes my english words fail me.....

The composition I like very much and I enjoyed it a lot, I hope you will have success with the performance. Thank you.
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

Gary,

Nice piece, and definitely deserving a live performance ( and hopefully many ). I didn't find the dynamics a problem - perhaps a little more reverb might help. But if part of the issue is to get people interested in playing your work, well then mission accomplished, and no need to fiddle more with the audio.

A lot of wit and humor in this - I would think it fun to perform. Let us know how it goes.

By the way, I tried your Pictures - couldn't get the soundclick to work, as it did here; I'll give it another try later.

Nice work!
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Thank you for your comments, LouisD.
    I taught band for 36 years and would agree with your flute dynamic comments. For my "5 minute" flute embrochure, I could never have played a good FF on low C. I have heard really full sounds with Professional flute players, so I probably am projecting an unknown
    "what if."
    Gary

Thanks for listening, Ron.
    Your compliments are appreciated, and I will follow up about tje performance. I still can/t believe how difficult it is to prepare parts and get them to print accurately.
    Gary

Gary

Congrats on getting this performed!

You got the feel of a caliope, even if the music is not what one thinks of with a calliope.

I agree that some reverb would help present this a little better, but if you have already found players, it doesn't matter much.

Same with the dynamics.

Well done

Ron

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast