• Register
  • Help

Topic: Which Steinway for me?

Share/Bookmark

Which Steinway for me?

I know the details are not 100% out there yet but I'm trying to work which Steinway version is right for me.

All I really want do is sit down in front of my keyboard and play in my basement. It sounds like the basic version would probably do what I need but I'm a bit concerned about the reference to it as a "light version."

I'm assuming that the perspective included in the basic version is the one most natural to the player of the piano. Are micing perspectives the only difference between the versions?

As I say, I really only need the player perspective ( I think) but don't want to be missing out other features that may be included in the other two versions.

Killer upright next please Gary

Its so hard to play convincing honky tonk piano on a Steinway grand

Re: Which Steinway for me?

I too am waiting to hear how "Lite" is the "Lite" piano. That term is not necessarily disqualifying in itself; Sampletekk's Lite pianos, for example, are terrific. They have slightly different sound than the full version, but it's certainly not an inferior timbre. For many purposes, an owner may find those Lite sounds preferable. All depends on the taste with which the reduction is made.

As for perspectives, my experience has been that I settle on one that I like and end up using it for almost all purposes anyway. Other available perspectives go largely unused. So I would definitely consider a single-perspective sample, if it's a nice one.

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by dergest99
    Its so hard to play convincing honky tonk piano on a Steinway grand
    Not so! Load two instances of the Steinway into your sequencer and detune one a small amount in relationship to the other. You'll have a fine, "high-class" honky-tonk piano.

Regards,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander
    Not so! Load two instances of the Steinway into your sequencer and detune one a small amount in relationship to the other. You'll have a fine, "high-class" honky-tonk piano.

Regards,

Larry
    Thanks great idea, tried this last night with my Sampletekk Vertikal and it works great. I look forward to trying it with the Steinway.

Quote Originally Posted by lallis

As for perspectives, my experience has been that I settle on one that I like and end up using it for almost all purposes anyway. Other available perspectives go largely unused. So I would definitely consider a single-perspective sample, if it's a nice one.

Larry
    Agreed. I'm not really much of a tweaker and I will probably settle on a single perspective. I'm just not sure which one.

I occasionaly wish I didn't have so many choices. I'm just dumb piano player and things like mic perspectives, convolution, PU. PUPD, etc that seem to come with piano sample libraries (PMI Bosendorfer I'm looking at you) make my head hurt.

All sample libraries should come with a preset called "when in doubt pick this one."

Go Back to forum