• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Writing for Piano

Share/Bookmark

Writing for Piano

I am new to this forum.Reading the comments concerning various pieces of music posted and the way that some of the piano sounds do not appear realistic I have put together a little file of part of a Beethoven sonata played using vaious instruments. How can I send it to the forum so that I can get comments on the sounds used?

Re: Writing for Piano

I think the easiest way is to post it elsewhere, such as myspace, and provide a link to it.

Welcome to the forum by the way. I think you'll find it a very friendly, helpful place.

Quote Originally Posted by buckshead
    I am new to this forum.Reading the comments concerning various pieces of music posted and the way that some of the piano sounds do not appear realistic I have put together a little file of part of a Beethoven sonata played using vaious instruments. How can I send it to the forum so that I can get comments on the sounds used?
    Hello Buckshead and welcome to our community.

There are many sites that offer free space where you can upload your mp3s. Then you need to provide a link to your mp3 in your post. Some members pay for their own webspace to host their own files. Additionally Gary has provided a facility for our own members and information on this can be found in 'The Listening Room'.

When you say 'some of the piano sounds do not appear realistic', do you mean the piano sounds in GPO or from other sources?
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Quote Originally Posted by jjloving
    The Listening 'Tomb', eh? A simple typo, or your subconscious thoughts making a brief appearance?!

Jon
    Oooopppsss .. now corrected. I couldn't let that typo stay.

Thanks for spotting it
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Question Re: Writing for Piano

Speaking of writing for piano, I am looking for some text books or other resource that might help me sharpen my writing for piano. I have Orchestration books, books on choral arranging, but was inquiring if anyone could recommend any resources for writing and arranging piano pieces

Thanks so much in advance!

Well, if you a pianist of moderate skills, that is a start, as you will know the limitations and strengths of the hands and what feels comfortable, and what sonorities you can expect, etc. Next best is to be on good terms with a good pianist.

Richard

Talking Re: Writing for Piano

Thanks, Rwayland, for your reply. I have played piano for the last 47 years, off and on (more off than on) and so would classify myself as an intermediate piano player, although in high school I did play the Grieg Concerto in A minor, but that was a looooong time ago! I was trained classically, but regret that I didn't study more music theory and improvisation back then, as I am having to pick up from a long time ago.
    Thanks, and if you think of a good resource for tips for writing piano pieces, I'd appreciate it!

Hi rfdillon -

I'd suggest...

1) Looking at as many piano scores in as many different styles as you can get your hands on. Variations might be especially helpful since they tend to show lots of different pianistic techniques in one piece, but anything will do.

2) Listen to recordings while following the scores.

You'll not only learn a lot about piano technique and notation, you'll learn lots of new pieces and composers. It's a win-win strategy.
    "An artist is someone who produces things that people don't need to have, but that he - for some reason - thinks it would be a good idea to give them."

- Andy Warhol

Although rwayland and klassicals' answers may sound like they skirt around your question, they're probably the best answer. If there were a good book on the subject, written by someone who knew what they were talking about, then it would be well-known by now. We'd mention it in the same way that we can say 'The Piston book' or 'The Adler' or 'The Rimsky-Korsakov' and everyone knows exactly which orchestration text we're talking about.

There will undoubtedly be some books out there, but unless the author is a famous pianist/composer then the advice is probably junk. I've lost count of the number of piano performance technique books I've read, from authors who have never made it as performers. They're always full of contradictions, and advice based on pseudo common-sense rather than experience. Similarly, unless the author of a guide on piano writing has actually had some success as a composer then you're just reading their musings based on the study of other people's music - more to the point, musings which haven't helped them be any more successful.

Thumbs up Re: Writing for Piano

Thanks, folks, for your advice and help. I guess there's just no getting around analyzing scores! Thanks so much again!

Go Back to forum