• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Syrah

Share/Bookmark

Syrah

I composed this piece for a competition sponsored By Gary that had as a first prize 3 of his Libraries.

If you read this Gary.... Thanks for sponsoring a great competition.

Well I didn't win but I got more votes in this competiton than any others in the past.
    This was the first time I was able to enter using GPO and that might account for my rise in the standings.

The competition was to compose a 3 minute piece for a beautiful female character in a Game. We had a picture of her and that was all.

I called this piece Mysterious Syrah

http://www.box.net/shared/gtz4z0n400

The winning entry was a rock style piece that was excellent.

I am very happy with how well I did in this and any comments are welcome.

Ron

Re: Syrah

I enjoyed!

A very light work in complexity and ensemble which handles the mysterious undertones you managed to expertly weave throughout.

Great job, Ron.
    How long ago did you write this?

Michael
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Hey Michael

I actually took about a minute out of another piece and expanded it onto this. I guess I wrote it back in early Dec along with 2 other ones that were "interesting" and knew that this one was the one to enter. I came in 6th out of 21, but my entry got more votes than a few Professional game music composers, so I am very happy with the outcome.

I couldn't post it anywhere because the entries were all anonymous. The winner of the contest was announced about 10 minutes before I posted it here.

I got engrossed in it for about 2 weeks to get the sound just right. I sent it in and 2 days later figured out how to use Sonar, which would have made it sound better, but then it was too late. This version is the one that I remixed today in sonar. The reverb is much more realistic than what I get out of Sibelius.

I am glad you enjoyed it.

Ron

It's not the sort of music I associate with gaming but it sure expressed the mysteries and complexities of the fairer .

You may have not won but you still have a nice piece to show for it.

Phil

Hi Ron,

for those who had written music to a character, they know that it is not always easy to do.

You did a great job!

Best,

Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane
    It's not the sort of music I associate with gaming but it sure expressed the mysteries and complexities of the fairer .

You may have not won but you still have a nice piece to show for it.

Phil
    Phil

The last game I played was either Pacman or Space Invaders. I know absolutely nothing about the games out today, nor the music that goes with them. But I do know women.

I imagined that a woman got pissed at me and slapped me in the face. Then she kissed me on the redness on my cheek which she just caused and asks if that helps it feel better. When I don't say thank you fast enough, she slaps me again, at which point, of course, she leans over and kisses me again. The never ending cycle of a woman.

Gunther

This is the first time I have ever tried to compose for a character and are you ever right. I threw out so many beginnings of other pieces and finished a few that were just nothing like what I expected. It was fun, but certainly not easy.

Thanks guys for taking the time to listen and to comment

Ron

Ron,

Whatever the stimulus, it has brought out a lyrical side of your writing that is very appealing, and adds a breadth to your expressive pallette. This is quite beautiful. Sorry you didn't win, but it did get the compositional blood going, and that is something to be thankful for. Silver linings and all that...

Thanks for posting this.
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Excellent piece! It SHOULD have won (even thought I didnt hear the other entries).

The opening to this brings imagery of a cold Christmas day, followed by Ebenezer Scrooge trudging through the snow, on his way home, scaring off street urchins (or 'little scoundrels') as he passes by. It also reminded me of Raymond Briggs' 'The Snowman'... at the part where the little boy builds the snowman

Thanks for letting us listen.

Regards
    Paul (Kin)
    "Life is rarely fair..." - Garlan, of Thorandall
    http://pjdeakin.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by rpearl
    Ron,

Whatever the stimulus, it has brought out a lyrical side of your writing that is very appealing, and adds a breadth to your expressive pallette. This is quite beautiful. Sorry you didn't win, but it did get the compositional blood going, and that is something to be thankful for. Silver linings and all that...

Thanks for posting this.
    Ron

More snow coming they say.

All the time I was working on this, I was trying other entries as well and they all were horrible. But this did get the blood going again. But clouds show up at the craziest times.

Paul

I guess maybe the chimes/bells brings out the wintery thoughts.

I played Mr Bob Cratchitt(sp?) years ago (Tin Tim was played by my girlfriend, although she didn't know it), so I am very famliar with that, but not so with The Snowman.

Thanks guys for the great comments, they mean a lot!

Ron

Ron,

Writing to a specific topic, or in your case, person is not an easy task. Syrah is obviously a complex and at times mysterious person as I hear the music. Thanks for sharing it here.

Gary

www.garybricaut.com

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast