• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: New Tune (Jazz Samba)

Share/Bookmark

New Tune (Jazz Samba)

I just got Chris Hein Upright (download version), so I did a little experiment.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6192392

Keys - Scarbee CEP with VKFX2.0
    Bass - Chris Hein Steel String Upright
    Drums - Toontracks Superior Drummer

Feedback welcome!

Re: New Tune (Jazz Samba)

Nice! I like it.

I just gave it a quick listen and i though the drum was the weakest link.

Very nice! I like it!

Thanks for posting!

Best,

Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Quote Originally Posted by geronimo001
    I just gave it a quick listen and i though the drum was the weakest link.
    you're right. i didn't spend as much time on the drums (programming or mixing) as I usually do. I spent most of the time trying to learn how to use the bass. I may tweak it in the next few days. Thanks for the feedback.

Nice swinging piece.

Could you comment for us on the CH bass, as you find it so far? I didn't hear any slaps and growls, for instance, although bass was not terribly prominent in your mix. Does it do that sort of thing? Any neat quirks at all?

Larry

There are a surprising amount of articulations. It (like most of the new Konktakt instruments) requires a fair bit of keyswitching to get the most out it.

As far as "slaps" they are there. I used them in a few places. I suppose the mix could be more flattering for the bass.

For "growls"...hmm not sure what that is. Give me an example.

It does allow for string buzz and dead notes, that really bring the bass parts to life. I haven't had enough time to learn to play it live. Over the next week or so I plan to muck around with the midi and experiment with the articulations and the mix.

Nicely done, but I'll second the motion for less rhodes and more bass, just so we can hear more of what's going on down there.
    Paul Baker
    Baker's Jazz And More
    Austin, Texas, USA
    www.bakersjazzandmore.com

Quote Originally Posted by mojamusic

For "growls"...hmm not sure what that is. Give me an example.

You know that "Mmmmrowrrrrrr" sound. It's the one Kip McGinniss hates so much. It's the steel-string roar from big controlled fretboard buzz.

Thanks for the description! I think you'll find quite a lot of interest in this bass, since not many have it yet. Forguive us for treating your good tune as a bass demo.

Larry.

Quote Originally Posted by lallis
    Thanks for the description! I think you'll find quite a lot of interest in this bass, since not many have it yet. Forguive us for treating your good tune as a bass demo.

Larry.
    Oh man, it's a pleasure. I love sharing ideas and concepts in these forums.
    I'll remix the track so you can hear it more clearly.

One of the reasons I posted it was I hadn't heard much about it and the demos were not that revealing, either.

Yeah, that growl is there. I just have to mess with the track a bit more to use it properly. I'll work on it.

I worked up another short snippet to feature the bass for you guys.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6203736

I really like the tone, I'm just haven't completely learned how to use the keyswitching yet, to get in the pocket. I feel like I'm getting closer, though.

Can you hear more of the Bass characteristics?

Go Back to forum