• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Sears offers cheap pre-installed Freespire Linux PCs

Share/Bookmark

Sears offers cheap pre-installed Freespire Linux PCs

Sears offers cheap pre-installed Freespire Linux PCs — Jan. 17, 2008 — The mainstreaming of Linux-based PCs has taken another major step forward. Sears, via its Web store, is now offering a low-priced minitower PC that comes with pre-installed Freespire 2.0 Linux.

Thumbs up Re: Sears offers cheap pre-installed Freespire Linux PCs

It's great to see more and more vendors selling Linux PCs. After Walmart and Dell now Sears. It looks like Ubuntu (on which Freespire is based) really made a difference in terms of usability, which has traditionally been the weak point of Linux based operating systems. The main criticism of those machines seems to be now that they're underpowered. Fortunately, this problem is easily solvable even for non-expert users: Upgrades!

If these offerings are successful, we'll likely see more powerful PCs pre-installed with Linux, which might help Linux Audio gain some momentum...

Martin

Re: Sears offers cheap pre-installed Freespire Linux PCs

Quote Originally Posted by klangwerk
    It looks like Ubuntu (on which Freespire is based) really made a difference in terms of usability, which has traditionally been the weak point of Linux based operating systems.
    Martin
    That's the problem I found when installing Linux Fedora last summer. Especially with the audio reader and the Win-modem driver. But surfing on net with Linux is a joy since no virus scrap poison my system

SergeD

Gary.. Will JABB or GPO run on a 4g Flash Drive? Legal copy on COURSE! :-) Earl

Quote Originally Posted by earl j macey View Post
    Gary.. Will JABB or GPO run on a 4g Flash Drive? Legal copy on COURSE! :-) Earl
    Earl,

Probably not, as flash drives are very slooowwww. USB 3 looks very promising though.

Best,

Gary

OK, Then, How about an External 7200 HD with Ubuntu running on it? The ability of having one copy only that can be transported from Desktop to Laptop has appeal..... Earl

I'd recommend making sure that it is a drive that can be connected with Firewire (IEEE 1394) instead of USB 2.0. USB 2.0 and lower are a little bit on the slow side to handle the higher data transfer rates that GPO may require. Once USB 3.0 is released, then it shouldn't be that much of a problem anymore and you can then get a USB 3.0 drive.
    Colton J. Provias
    Film Score Composer, Location Sound Mixer, and Sound Editor
    Full-stack Web Developer

I have firewire drives. Is GPO available to run on Linux?

Quote Originally Posted by earl j macey View Post
    I have firewire drives. Is GPO available to run on Linux?
    I don't think the Kontakt Player will run on Linux out-of-the-box. We are porting GPO to ARIA and are planning on a Linux version.

Best,

Gary

Thank You! and YEH!!

Go Back to forum