• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Bluethner Digital Model One

Share/Bookmark

Bluethner Digital Model One

Just wondering if anyone had any updated opinions on this instrument. How does it hold up to the other players after several months of actual use? I guess the big question is how it'll hold up against Garritan, but that aside.

Re: Bluethner Digital Model One

Dan and I were at the NAMM. Blüthner Pianos had a booth. Christian Bluthner told us that many people came to hear this piano because of the four great reviews that we have received over the last 3 months (SOS, VI, Keyboard and EM).

Over the last couple of months we have had 7 Grammy award wining Musician/Composers/Producers say wonderful things about our library. (George Duke, Russell Ferrante, Jay Graydon, Don Grusin, David Kahne, Keith Levenson and Oscar Castro-Neves. Their quotes, links (to their site) and some of their respective well known projects are listed at http://www.proaudiovault.com/ The BDMO is now starting to show up on many Film/TV/Record productions. George Duke is now touring and using the BDMO live on a portable (MacBook Pro).

I wish many in the sampling community would stop considering either/or when considering piano libraries. Just like the real world pianos Gary's Steinway has a different sound than our Blüthner piano. Considering that these $100K plus pianos are available for a couple of hundred dollars - isn't it worth considering purchasing several libraries ?

FYI - we just finished an update adding a velocity mapping script so that the user can adjust the touch to match any keyboard controller and we digitally re-voiced over 800 samples (1.4 Gig's). The effect is a subtle but definitely a noticeable improvement in the overall sound.

Ernest Cholakis
    Numerical Sound/ProAudioVault
    www.proaudiovault.com
    www.numericalsound.com

Quote Originally Posted by kensuguro
    Just wondering if anyone had any updated opinions on this instrument. How does it hold up to the other players after several months of actual use? I guess the big question is how it'll hold up against Garritan, but that aside.
    kensuguro,

Each piano library has its own distinctive sound. Just like a real Bluethner and a real Steinway will sound different - so too will their virtual equivalents.

Piano libraries are not mutually exclusive and attractive pricing make it possible to have different flavors with multiple libraries. Just as an artist has different colors in the pallete, so too should the musician have different piano colors.

Dan and Ernest make an excellent piano library and I would urge you to consider their library along with others in your arsenal of sounds.

Best,

Gary Garritan

wow, thank you both for taking the time to respond to my light hearted question. I really applaud the finesse in how you both strive to make the world of sampled instruments a better place in a cooperative way. (instead of causing unneeded competition, like I implied with my unthoughtful post, lol) Yes, I completely agree that the two are fundamentally different, and that more can be achieved through harmony than competition. Hats off, to both of you gentlemen.

That said, I am curious as to how the Bluethner performs on the macbook pro. Would the bluethner run full power on macbook, incl. all convolutions? Do you know the specs of the machine?

Performance controls are where it's at for me.

I await the real una corde / sostenuto features.

I will get dirty with my Vintaudio Uprights, but for Debussey, Chopin, and certain Barrelhouse Orleans styles I need the sos pedal emulated.

Sure, anyone can achieve in a couple of passes when recording, but live is what I need.

Please tell that you got it going on in Steinway.

I have tried a couple, but the real thing is quite difficult, but achievable.

BTW, Ken is a class act.
    JimmyV

Well, i'll tell you what: Render the same non-quantized MIDI file with the Bluthner and the Garritan Steinway and let us hear the MP3s; i'll buy the one that's easier on my computer and sounds better.

I think that's not exactly the intended outcome of the above conversation..

Quote Originally Posted by kensuguro View Post
    How does it hold up to the other players after several months of actual use? I guess the big question is how it'll hold up against Garritan, but that aside.
    Sorry; I was referring to the OP's post, and this query in particular. I'm not-so-patiently waiting to hear a few different new piano libraries render the same MIDI on a non-biased site, and i'll fondly go with whichever one matches my playing style.

Well, I can only add that the recently released 1.1 update of the software/library definitely makes BDMO something to buy, or at least to check out (if you know a friend/store/studio that has it available).

it definitely has a very rich and nice tone but there is something in the bass I didnt like with the pedaling. still it's very bright and rich sounding piano that people should check out, I think that is a unique tone that it has.
    having a piano lib play midi files is just stupid. Go test the piano yourselves on a good weighted midi keyboard and judge for yourself if you like something or not.
    All I can Say is...HA!...HA!...HAAAAAAA!!!!!

Go Back to forum