• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Ennio's Dance

Share/Bookmark

Ennio's Dance

I decided to call this one Ennio's Dance as it seemed to fit.

I composed this one like the others and this is what I ended up with.

I used my Martin D-16 on most of this one and recorded the last part before the preceding part because I wasn't sure if I could do it cleanly.

http://www.box.net/shared/gemyrfc8og

Re: Ennio's Dance

Coooool!

Phil, I like your composition!

The maintheme(?) starting at 2.19 I like very much! Reminds me to the good old westerns.

I have one suggestion: At the beginning I would start with pp and then getting more and more louder, and the loudest notes then begin at 2.19.

So it would be much dramatic.

Well done!

Best,

Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

I had to google "Martin D-16" to see what that is Now I know that you are playing the guitar in live. I just love your music. It made me smile. Your playing is great, I especially liked the final little gesture you made at the end. Thank you.
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

Phil,

Is the Ennio in the title Ennio Morricone? It has that kind of feel - maybe I'm just too prone to suggestion...

Beautiful opening, and the guitar is a real surprise. The blend and balance seems very good. I liked the "epic" chorus in the background, especially the way it alternates with the chorus/orchestra.

This is very different from some other things I have heard you write - nice range, you've got there!

Ron
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Ron

This is great. I also see a western theme going on and of course a little Flamengo at the end.

On the first listen, the opening seemed a tad high in volume, but on the loop it didn't.

But since most won't hear it a second time through, perhaps a more gradual dynamic increase would help.

Doesn't detract from a great adventure into your mind.

Love the sound of a Martin and one day I hope to be rich enough to afford another one.

But then at this point, anything would be better than my broken washburn and damaged no name classical. 12 guitars I have owned in my life and all I have now is 2 broken ones with the rest either stolen or permanantly borrowed.

Well Done

Ron

Oh wow!---Phil, it's just Grand! Pass the popcorn!

I'm so fortunate to be part of this community of such talented people such as yourself, Phil.

This may not have covered a huge amount of harmonic material, but it made its point and did it so well. Gorgeous recording, just great.

Randy B.

Gunther

Thank you much.

The maintheme(?) starting at 2.19 I like very much! Reminds me to the good old westerns.

I guess it's the main theme. That part just started as a couple of chord progressions on my guitar that I recorded first and then developed it.

I have one suggestion: At the beginning I would start with pp and then getting more and more louder, and the loudest notes then begin at 2.19.

Yes any sane person would agree with that but my idea was to start out the listener at the climax of something that they would have to imagine took place. Sort of like walking into a concert late.

We'll I think that's what I was up to in the back of my head.

Louis

I'm glad it made you smile. That was sort of my intent.

I had to google "Martin D-16" to see what that is Now I know that you are playing the guitar in live.

Yes, you can't get that with samples yet so I took up the guitar again. I was going to get the D-15, which is all mahogany, because it's used for recording a lot for it's easy playing neck and smokey sound which records well but the D-16 sounds much better when you just want to play it.

Ron(rpearl)

Thanks for the nice comments.

Is the Ennio in the title Ennio Morricone? It has that kind of feel - maybe I'm just too prone to suggestion...

Yeah, you guessed it. I had to call it something.

This is very different from some other things I have heard you write

I seem to hop around with styles. That way you won't catch me stealing ideas. Like the guitar piano brake was probably influenced by ABBA, Bruce Springsteen (Born To Run Album) and The Who.

Ron(rolifer)

Thanks for posting Ron.

This is great. I also see a western theme going on and of course a little Flamengo at the end.

We can all imagine being free living cowboys and cowgirls. I also used the castanets with the male choir part.

Love the sound of a Martin and one day I hope to be rich enough to afford another one.

They don't give them away. Mine was $1100 slightly used and my old D-35 new now sell for $2200 street price.

But then at this point, anything would be better than my broken washburn and damaged no name classical. 12 guitars I have owned in my life and all I have now is 2 broken ones with the rest either stolen or permanantly borrowed.

If I had kept my D-35 I'm sure my daughter would have run off with it. I had to hide some of my gear when she was playing in rock bands.

Thanks to all!

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    Oh wow!---Phil, it's just Grand! Pass the popcorn!

I'm so fortunate to be part of this community of such talented people such as yourself, Phil.

This may not have covered a huge amount of harmonic material, but it made its point and did it so well. Gorgeous recording, just great.

Randy B.
    Thank you Randy. It's probably 30% talent and 70% hard work.

I probably took minimalism to a new level with this one but I heaped enough icing on it to make it work. I put a lot of time into mixing on it and working with different samples.

Phil

Wow, great string sound opening this up, Phil, and
    I love the way the lines move in it... solidly segged
    into the next section. And then --

I always seem to have to listen to your work twice,
    lately. There's a stream-of-consciousness going on
    that I need to hear the whole piece to grasp. And so
    it is with this piece: there's a story going on, here.

Relistening that opening again... Phil, given this
    piece as done and well done, I'd like to propose an
    experiment for you. Would you consider grabbing
    that opening string segment and writing a second
    piece developing it?

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Fastlane:
    I agree with Randy about the area. I moved to Bellingham, WA in 2001, so if I live here long enough, will I be able to write such music?
    Really a very enjoyable and depictive piece. I could just see Clint Eastwood enjoying his Marlboro cigarette.
    I hesitate to make any kind of critical comment, because as the saying goes, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" but another old sawhorse is "there's no fool like an old fool" so my comment is quite short and simple. I would like to have heard a shift in the tonal center at some dramatic point.

sos

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast