• Register
  • Help

Topic: Keyboard and expression pedal on separate devices?

Share/Bookmark

Keyboard and expression pedal on separate devices?

I have an E-MU Xboard 49 keyboard controller that I want to use with Strad. It can accept either a damper pedal or an expression pedal, but not both at once.

So I would like to connect an expression pedal to a different MIDI interface. Is there any way of telling Kontakt Player 2 that it should listen to MIDI input from both the keyboard and the pedal?

Is it as simple as turning on more than one MIDI device in the setup dialog?

Re: Keyboard and expression pedal on separate devices?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Koenig
    I have an E-MU Xboard 49 keyboard controller that I want to use with Strad. It can accept either a damper pedal or an expression pedal, but not both at once.
    Make sure you get an expression pedal compatible with the keyboard.

So I would like to connect an expression pedal to a different MIDI interface. Is there any way of telling Kontakt Player 2 that it should listen to MIDI input from both the keyboard and the pedal?
    Yes.

Is it as simple as turning on more than one MIDI device in the setup dialog?
    Yes and no. When you enable both interfaces in the KP2 MIDI menu, they will assigned to different ports (A and B). To get it to respond to both controllers you will need to select MIDI OMNI as the input port for the loaded instrument in KP2. This works well if Strad is the only instrument loaded. You'll encounter it responding to all midi events sent to KP2, which is bad if you have some GPO or JABB stuff in there are well. If you're running KP2 inside a host, you'll need to make sure that both midi devices are enabled there and that the track midi input is set to Omni.

Best,
    Reegs

Re: Keyboard and expression pedal on separate devices?

Or - you could pass the MIDI output of one device to the other MIDI device, and *then* into the host/Kontakt instance. That's what I do with the expression pedal of the Kurzweil Expressionmate into the MIDIBoard and then on to the MIDI in of my TASCAM FW-1884. I suppose I *could* route both of them to their own input on the FW, but why?
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

Go Back to forum