• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: OT: Mahler's 9th

Share/Bookmark

OT: Mahler\'s 9th

I just picked up the score and CD (Chicago Symphony Orch--love that brass section!) to Mahler\'s 9th symphony. Lord what a beautiful piece of music that is...it nearly brought me to tears. It\'s been a long time since I\'ve heard music that gorgeous. It\'s going to take me quite a while to get a handle on that score.

I also checked out Boulez\' \"sir incises\"...wow. I\'d love to hear that live!

Anybody else listening/studying anything breathtaking?

Re: OT: Mahler\'s 9th

Mahler\'s music is incredible. Bar none IMO. He was simply a genius in every aspects of the art of orchestral music. Truely magnificent! Words cannot express the greatness of his compositions. Have fun reading and studying the score. I have his 1-5th symphony scores and various recordings of each. Just the other day I was reading some of the 4th in bed, while my girlfriend was reading some Danielle Steel Needless to say she thinks I\'m crazy.

Anyway if you can, buy Mahler\'s 10th (and unfinished) with the berliner philarmonics. It\'s awesome.

Thomas

My favorite has always been the 2nd - its like hearing a film and a book at once, only much more! It\'s sort of the apocalypse in tonal setting. Don\'t think I\'ve heard much of the 9\'th - seems to be something I need do. And for recommendation:
    Varése: \'Ameriques\'!

Bjk

I knew that Mahler had started a 10th but I didn\'t know it was finished...who finished it?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Phattlippz:
    I knew that Mahler had started a 10th but I didn\'t know it was finished...who finished it?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nobody did, as I know it. It just remains
    unfinished. It\'s only the Adagio that\'s
    complete and a Scherzo almost.

Bjk

In bed with your girlfriend studying scores...something is very wrong with this picture!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Thomas_J:
    Just the other day I was reading some of the 4th in bed, while my girlfriend was reading some Danielle Steel Needless to say she thinks I\'m crazy.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree! As a matter of fact I named one of my German Shepherds Mahler...or Mahlee for short!

Donnie

Originally posted by Thomas_J:
    \"Just the other day I was reading some of the 4th in bed, while my girlfriend was reading some Danielle Steel. Needless to say she thinks I\'m crazy.\"

Gee Thomas, it was my hope you were fat, ugly and uninterested in girls. I would not want anything to get in your way of the study and production of music.

So, Thomas and others, I do have a little Mahler, but anything y\'all would point to as the central piece/recording that is a must own? Thanks.

--------------
    Doyle W. Donehoo
    Radar Music
    http://www.sierra-trails.com/radarmusic.html
    http://www.mp3.com/Doyle_W_Donehoo

Mahler\'s 10th - Dereck Cooke did a complete version of the unfinished score which should be available on CD.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Craig_L:
    Mahler\'s 10th - Dereck Cooke did a complete version of the unfinished score which should be available on CD.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

He did?! - I stand corrected.
    Better try and get that - do you know the
    label?

Bjk

Go Back to forum