• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Symphony of Voices or EWQL Symphonic Choirs

Share/Bookmark

Symphony of Voices or EWQL Symphonic Choirs

I'm trying to decide between these two packages as my base vocal library for soundtrack work. I'm leaning toward SOV because it sounds like it'll be more practical and give me many usable sounds right out-of-the-box. EWQLSC sounds really cool but the word builder is not likely something I'd use much at this time.

Anyone using either or both of these packages have any comments?

Thanks

Eric

Re: Symphony of Voices or EWQL Symphonic Choirs

i've heard both, but unfortunately haven't used either. the main reason i'm hesitant on getting either is that they both seem a little out of date. (please don't get mad at me for saying this) i just feel that with everything thats come out in the last year there should be something a lot better on its way. garritan has been talking about one for what seems like years. i know they've got a lot going on and a choir is probably really difficult, but i think i'd wait if i were you. i am.
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

Eric,

I own the East West choirs and they sound great. Yup, the word builder is a tad clumsy but incrediblt capable in competent hands (i.e. not mine) Check out the Thomas J demo (Spiritus... sorry forget the rest of the name, Eternus maybe?) It shows how beautiful and flexible these sounds are. East West are upgrading the package to their new Play engine that apparently has a better Word Biulder interface. (although this might be a programmers napkin sketch at this time.

Good Luck!

Darren
    www.darrenpasdernick.com
    "Every time you play a wrong note God kills a kitten."

Quote Originally Posted by ericjm68
    I'm trying to decide between these two packages as my base vocal library for soundtrack work. I'm leaning toward SOV because it sounds like it'll be more practical and give me many usable sounds right out-of-the-box. EWQLSC sounds really cool but the word builder is not likely something I'd use much at this time.

Anyone using either or both of these packages have any comments?

Thanks

Eric
    Hey Eric,
    They are both beautiful libraries.
    I have both and I have to tell you that SC being a more recent library and with a lot of capabilities has become the one that i am using more!

I just talked to the EW owners at the recent NAMM and they told me that they are going to upgrade with play the entire choir collections fixing the problem of the range.

I have not interested of any kind in telling you that this is a fantastic library and even without words (that perhaps you might want to use later) you can do very georgeus things!!!

You can check some demos where i have used SC:

Sam's Theme

Shadow of War

End Credits

etc...

Also Gary is going to release a new choir library but i guess this is not going to be really soon.

All the best,
    Roberto

I used it on a proggish rock piece called Trick or Treat:

www.soundclick.com/jeffreynaness.

I don't think there is anything else that would have worked (aside form a real choir).

jeffn1
    For original progressive electronic rock influenced by J.S. Bach and (old) Rush, check out: www.soundclick.com/jeffreynaness.

I own both. EWQLSC has a little steeper learning curve. But as you can hear from Roberto's music (who's is definately a master at it) the final product can be excellent. SOV is an easier out of the box experience. And I think samples from Eric do not sound dated and are still quite usable after a conversion to Kontakt.

EWQLSC is indeed being ported eventually to the PLAY engine, but they said the Wordbuilder may come in a update later on, so probably not in the initial release. As far as waiting for the next big thing to come out. I buy what I can use NOW, not what may come LATER. So look at the pro and cons of each and decide what fits your musical needs. If you're like me you may end up needing both. I use EWQLSC in my studio and then SOV in a live setting because of its smaller memory needs.

Jeff

The Miroslav choirs are available as a refill for Reason 3.0+ for $70 currently from Sonic Reality. They're useful, have a nice full sound, and contain a breadth of articulations and syllables. The Seven Wonders demo here by Shantar was done in the Sampletank version of Philharmonik, but the samples are the same. No wordbuilding.

I don't have SC or SoV so unfortunately cannot offer a comparison.

Not meaning to persuade you one way or another, just giving you another (cheap, maybe secondary) option if you have Reason.

Reegs

Symphonic Choirs advocate here too. It's worth the dough.

I have both, and I'm a bigger fan of the EWQLSC. SOV does have some beautiful samples, but they're more pad-like samples of just ohs and ahs, things like that. EWQLSC do have a helluva learning curve though -- enough so that I almost gave up on it completely when I was trying to figure it out. But once you get into it it easily becomes part of the workflow. The thing to remember about SOV is that it's a pretty old library by today's standards, so it isn't very versatile or customizeable. I had one of those "wow, I didn't realize just how old this library was" moments recently when I got the "Heart of Africa 1 & 2" CDROMs... there are a couple neat sounds on there, but ultimately there's not much you can do with them because they aren't crossfade-able, time-stretchable, etc., like we've become accustomed to with just about every modern library.

That said, when I need a fatter and richer choir sound, I'll stack theSOV ohs and ahs behind the EWQLSC choir and it works great. But for the purposes of overall useability and versatility, SOV is a library that should probably cost around $129 these days, not $499. It was brilliant when I bought it almost 10 years ago, but now it pales in comparison to other products.

Kerry
    Mr. Kerry Muzzey

Quote Originally Posted by beach
    Hey Eric,
    They are both beautiful libraries.
    I have both and I have to tell you that SC being a more recent library and with a lot of capabilities has become the one that i am using more!
    <snip>
    You can check some demos where i have used SC:

Sam's Theme

Shadow of War

End Credits

Also Gary is going to release a new choir library but i guess this is not going to be really soon.

All the best,
    Roberto
    Roberto your music is very nicely done. Thank you for the comments and samples. Great work.

Go Back to forum