• Register
  • Help

Topic: Answers to a few questions about GS4...

Share/Bookmark

Answers to a few questions about GS4...

Here are a few responses (not mine, but they were made by someone at TASCAM who would know) to a number of questions regarding GS4... copied verbatim from "elsewhere":

1. the specs as best you got them (XP64 - yes or no)
    XP or Vista, 32 or 64-bit. I think that's clear from our marketing.

2. how GS4 deals with different streaming methods in one program when hosting other VSTs
    I've run VI in Giga and it works great. I haven't tried Kontakt yet, I've been slammed with NAMM prep.

3. Is it still written at the kernel level?
    The sampler engine is still at the Kernel level, but we've moved other components out of that level (like Quicksound) which improves stability without compromising performance.

4. Can GS4 operate with 8GB of RAM?
    Hell yeah. It'll support 128GB of RAM if you can find a motherboard and a bank loan.

5. Since NI doesn't operate with 8GB of RAM, how does that effect the performance in a higher RAM situation?
    There's no "bit bridge" in GS4, so 32-bit plug-ins are disabled in the 64-bit version. That's on our wish list, but as of version 4.00 they are not supported.

6. What's the customer support? manual? forum? both?
    There's a manual (being worked on by Craig Anderton as we speak), email and phone support.

— alanb

http://alanb.org

http://www.myspace.com/arsperspicuus

Re: Answers to a few questions about GS4...

Great stuff Alan, thanks for that insider info! But seriously:

Quote Originally Posted by alanb

There's a manual (being worked on by Craig Anderton as we speak), email and phone support.
    have you ever tried calling tascam? LOL and email isnt much better
    Christopher Kennedy Alpiar
    Cinematic Composer
    www.alpiar.com

Quote Originally Posted by TheAlps
    Great stuff Alan, thanks for that insider info! But seriously:

have you ever tried calling tascam? LOL and email isnt much better
    That's a universal problem... not just a TASCAM problem.

Just a few weeks ago, I called MOTU regarding some problems with my MIDI patchbay.

All day long I called and called and called, and kept getting a busy signal.

I double-checked the phone number... it was the number in my manual and it matched the number on the website, so I kept calling and calling and calling, always getting a busy signal...

Finally, hours later, I got through.

The woman who answered exlpained that MOTU only has twenty-five (25) people handing tech support. If all 25 people are away or handling calls, there is no queue, just a busy signal.

Twenty-five people for tech support of all of MOTU's products?!?!?!?

I can't imagine there are anywhere near as many Giga users as there are... uh... MOTU customers. And, I was told, they've only got 25 people running telephone tech support.

Anyway, if more knowledgeable Giga Users devoted a little extra energy to helping folks here, at LGS, and so on, the need for telephone service would be drastically reduced.....

Still, man... Craig Anderton...!!!
    — alanb

http://alanb.org

http://www.myspace.com/arsperspicuus

Well i dont know about "universal" but there does seem to be serious problems with the corporate architecture for these small music software/hardware companies that has extremely complex software written by a very small team. At least with MOTU I havent had a lot of problems with DP or MTP/AVs or 2408s that I use, but i do seem to remember a small nightmare with some registration stuff for unisyn back a few years. As for Tascam it seemed the last remnant of civility left when Peter "Oso" Snell left to go to work for hans zimmer... maybe GS4 is going to be happy times tho!

As for the community here - yes! very true, i am extremely psyched to find this forum that seems to be very active with GS users. I cant believe I have been a GS user for over 5 years and not found you guys till now. Just sonic control in the old days, which has moved on from having GS forums, the vsl forums which is the only place i ever found solutions, and the forums that alanb admins for learngigastudio.com, maybe its the same group that does northernsounds? Anyhow I am glad to find a hang out spot for giga stuff, if there is anything I can do to be helpful please yell at me
    Christopher Kennedy Alpiar
    Cinematic Composer
    www.alpiar.com

Thanks AlanB.
    JimmyV

Go Back to forum