• Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: "Blue Bossa" GJPP

Share/Bookmark

"Blue Bossa" GJPP

http://www.box.net/shared/static/xhz96bh4wc.mp3
    "Blue Bossa"
    I've been fooling around trying to get a decent mp3. I took out all
    of the solo areas so this is the skeleton that the chart was built on.
    It is an example of "triple invertible
    counterpoint," applied to a Jazz piece. The first three times the
    "head" is played Counterpoint 2 and 3 enter separately but all are inverted (switch instruments) and enter together in the last statement.
    Still struggling with "tweaking" and dynamics.
    MacG5, Finale 2008a, NI AK1.

sos

Re: "Blue Bossa" GJPP

Hey, Steve, great to see you're back! And with a really fine treatment of one of my all-time favorite latin jazz tunes!

I'd forgotten how expertly you handle jazz voicings and counterlines -- this is another fine example of your talent. Expert stuff, man! Loved it!
    Keep it comin'!!

Danny

Danny:

Thanks for the boost. It's great that my profession is still my hobby after retiring. My next big challenge is to make a picture frame in my woodworking shop and have all four corners mitered correctly. AAARRGGGHHH!!!

sos

Ahhh... just what I needed, Steve. Dang, but
    you do have a knack for picking the best of breed.

Sounds like you're getting your chops together
    on rendering quite well, here. About the only
    thing I'd comment on is, for my ear, the reverb's
    a little too much, a bit "hollow" for my own
    tastes.

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

etLux(David)

Thank you for listening. I agree with your comments about reverb. I'm trying to find just how much is needed to make things sound "correct." I've always prefered a little dryer sound, especially after developing tinnitus from years of sitting in front of the trumpets while having the drummer's ride cymbal in my ear.
    I seem to be having the same problem with this equipment that exsisited in the recital hall at school; the acoustics were great for singers and strings but deadly for trumpets and drums.
    Now excuse me while I answer that phone that keeps ringing in my ear!

sos

I'm not a jazz person so I searched up a "standard" version demo to get my bearings.

Yours arrangement is sophisticated and a pleasure to listen to.

I agree with Davis about the verb. I know my seat was free but I'd like to be a little more intimate with the band.

Phil

Steve

I know jazz as well as I speak Manderin Chinese. I doubt if I even spelled that right let alone speak it. BUt I wish I knew both. You seem to know jazz very well to put out this arrangement,

This is some great stuff.

Well Done

Ron

Starting with a Gershwinian-like intro, followed by some Bernsteinian-like bars, then off to Brazilian source...
    But it all had your stamp on it, and an excellent one!
    There's a lot to be learned from your jazz composing!
    Any chance of seeing and studying this score???

Yudit

You're the best, Mr. Steve. I like your new chart.

My only suggestions are that the bass needs more cajones and there's a tad too much reverb. There is a "hollow" sound.

You need some way to provide equalization for your mix, maybe with an equalizer plug-in for your sequencer. That way, you can perhaps boost the low frequencies to give the bass some punch and adjust the high frequencies to make the drums "sizzle".

Thanks for posting.

My best,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Sosmeister!

Wow - What a superb chart, and your instruments are sounding just great. Huge admiration for what you're accomplishing.

I've looked through the thread - "hollow" is a good word to describe the 100% wet and far too reverberant sound here. I wish we could help you out with that - There's something incorrect in the way you're using it. I'm sure you can hear that the results are like the band is playing down the street, echoing off solid walls of tall buildings.

It's the problem we see over and over with Finale users - The reverb is being used at full strength, when it's not intended to be used that way. That's the Potential reverb, and only percentages should be applied to the tracks. There's at least a fundamental mixer in there to set the levels--I do believe?

Love the music - Hope we can get it out of that deep well!

Randy B.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast