• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: OT - Box.net Identified As Spyware Site

Share/Bookmark

OT - Box.net Identified As Spyware Site

Many people seem to use Box.net but each time I try to connect to this site my Zone Alarm Anti-Spyware blocks the connection with a report that this is a spyware site.

I tried to find out more and found this statement by Checkpoint Technologies defending the claim by stating that they have evidence of over 50 incidents of spyware infecting computers from this site.

http://forums.zonelab.com/zonelabs/b...ssage.id=26206

I also found this other post with further reports of spyware problems:

http://boyervillescraps.wordpress.co...s-with-boxnet/

I do know that I can over-ride Zone Alarm's antispyware and allow the connection but I have no intention of visiting sites that infect computers with spyware.

I have my own webspace so I don't need free hosting sites but many of our members use Box.net for us to listen to their files. If the accusation against Box.net can be subtantiated then I feel our members should be warned. Apart from this I am missing the opportunity to listen to the efforts of members who use this site.

Does anyone know any more about this or has anyone had any such problems with this site?
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Re: OT - Box.net Identified As Spyware Site

Well, I have had no trouble yet. No reports of such activity. However, it may be that it was blocked and I will find reports in the log files, which I will check in a few minutes. I hope others will do likewise. I was planning to upload a new file tonight, but I will wait and see what develops here.

Richard

Well, I have just spent about 40 minutes checking this out. I find no evidence on my computer, and no ID of it at Symantec. My logs show no evidence of the problem. It is possible that Zonelab is correct, and therefore, I will maintain my position of waiting for more news.

Richard

Michael,

The situation is probably that spyware is just another hosted file on box.net. It would seem Box.net doesn't really care what a user hosts there....music files, family photos, spreadsheets, word docs, etc. If someone is led to click on a file that contains viruses or spyware at box.net, then they will download a virus or spyware, plain and simple. This shouldn't be a problem with music files, at least not mp3 files (I can't vouch for any particular file extension coming out of Microsoft). As long as you don't click on an exe or download and unzip something with an embedded exe, you're probably alright.

Darwin

Hmmm...

I use zone alarm with no problem really. Spyware doctor has been an *ahem* all the time so I actually turned it off and I live my life free of much hussle.

No problems here. I use Kaspersky. And as said, as long as you'll stick to Play the files, or download the pdf's put there by our forum members (I hope they checked the integrity of those files), nothing happens.

Some spy-/virus- scanners can be set at "check that thing I just downloaded".

Raymond

I have 3 programs (Norman Anti Virus, Spysweeper and AVG Antispyware) protecting my computer and none of them ever reported anything suspicius with Box.net. It is probably, like Darwin says, the download of a single infected file, that caused Box.net to be included on ZoneAlarm's list of spyware sites. I wouldn't be too worried, as long as you don't download just anything from this site (or any other site, for that matter). Only download non-executable files and open them with fully updated programs (mp3 players, image viewers, etc.). However, if you do download executables, scan them first with updated antispyware software.

Richard
    Thanks for checking. Glad everything seems clear there.

Darwin
    I realise that if there is indeed a spyware problem with this site it is probably through other users abusing the free facility.

Nikolas
    Zone Alarm has the Kaspersky antivirus and spyware engine plus it's own antispyware. In a recent PC mags review Zone Alarm beat the others including Spyware Doctor.

Raymond
    Good to hear you are finding no problems with this too.

Nickie
    Glad to hear another endorsement and that everything is clear there too.

Thanks everyone for your input.

I do indeed scan all downloaded files as a matter of course so just to be sure.
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by nikolas
    Hmmm...

I use zone alarm with no problem really. Spyware doctor has been an *ahem* all the time so I actually turned it off and I live my life free of much hussle.
    I did the same thing. I would then get updates and do a spyware scan about every 2 weeks.

The various Internet Security Suites have good intention, but they are mistakened sometimes

I did a clean uninstall of my Zone alarm for Iwas having issues with the Virus scanning portion of the suite.

Am running Trend Micro Internet Security Pro right now

Martin
    "Among God's creatures two, the dog and the guitar, have taken all the sizes and all the shapes, in order not to be separated from the man." - Andre Segovia

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Taylor

I did a clean uninstall of my Zone alarm for Iwas having issues with the Virus scanning portion of the suite.

Am running Trend Micro Internet Security Pro right now

Martin
    Which version of Zone Alarm did you use?

The latest version now uses Kaspersky Antivirus which is very highly thought of and has come tops in many PC magazine reviews.
    Michael

Go Back to forum