• Register
  • Help

Topic: Paddle Steamer Blues

Share/Bookmark

Paddle Steamer Blues

Here is another example from my project "Pianostudents playing with big orchestra". Here I have arranged a short piece by Lennart Brage from one of his pianobooks for educational purpose.

Here I use both GPO and JABB.

In the concert I totally had 6 percussionplaysers. Most percussion students only want to play drums (rock!) but I want them to test the reality of many percussion player, 1 triangle stroke, 30 measures of rests etc. Also to play many different percussions, so even if it was a "piano concert" the percussion players also made a lot of experiences.

In this piece there is a vibra throughout the piece and drums with brushes, which was something totally new to the percussion player.

http://www.slandrommusik.se/Ljudfile...er%20Blues.mp3

Björn

Re: Paddle Steamer Blues

Hello again, Björn

This is excellent - I really admire what you're doing with your music students, providing such inspiring tracks for them to play to. I loved your first post in this series, and this one is equally superb. Great!

Randy B.

Bjorn:

A definite "bluesy" sound. Really good instrumentation.

Really enjoyed listening to this. We need more blues
    pieces to remind us of the foundation of a lot of American
    music--and here you are in Sweden. Great stuff, Bjorn.

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Thank you Randy & Jack for your kind words.

Björn

Björn,

what a sweet blues, well written and orchestrated!

I have only one suggestion: I would work a little bit at the drums to give it a deeper blues-groove... .

BTW, a great blues!

Best,

Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Wow! Really great stuff going on here. This is my favorite genre and this is outstanding. Thanks for doing this. I look forward to more.
    Jerry
    Dayton, Kentucky
    Personally, I'm waiting for caller IQ.

Quote Originally Posted by germancomponist
    Björn,

I have only one suggestion: I would work a little bit at the drums to give it a deeper blues-groove... .

Best,

Gunther
    Thanks for the advice. One must be aware of that this is meant to be played by a young student, one who has never heard the word brushes! So you have limitations when you arrange these pieces. It mustn´t be to difficult. (To tell you a secret, he had problems playing it as it is!).

Björn

Very well done, Björn!

Quite accessible for the modest skills of the
    student; yet -- it sounds great!

This is such an important element of teaching.
    Too often, students spend most of their time
    on musically unsatisfying, boring exercises.

But something like this, with real performance
    value -- that sets them on fire to do more and
    better.

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by etLux View Post
    This is such an important element of teaching.
    Too often, students spend most of their time
    on musically unsatisfying, boring exercises.

But something like this, with real performance
    value -- that sets them on fire to do more and
    better.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    Thanks David,

You are adressing a very important thing in piano teaching. Pianists are often very lonely, only plays at home, sometimes at concerts but mostly as soloists. I didn´t like that they often not are a part of a concert with different students ensebles, the fact is that we pianoteachers was a little bit "outfroozen" by other instrument teachers. What we did was not so important compared with the brassband, string orchestra etc. Exept when they needed someone to accompany their students! And in those occations they wanted a teacher, not a student. I was angry and frustated over this and forbid my fellow piano teachers to accompany other students. If they needed an accompanist to a student it should be a piano student! If the score was to difficult, rewrite it.

So many years ago I started to arrange for trios, quartetts etc. there the pianist had to be a student. Even put together an "old" café group playing at dinners and a piano orchestra with 32 pianists and 14 pianos. And so it has continue and has ended up in these orchestra concerts.

As a result the status of the piano teachers has increased and we are now accepted as "equal" co-worker and the presence of piano students together with other instruments are now totally natural.

Björn

Go Back to forum