• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Spectrasonics - Unacceptable behavior - Trilogy/Athmosphere/Omnisphere

Thumbs down Spectrasonics - Unacceptable behavior - Trilogy/Athmosphere/Omnisphere

I recognize that Eric is a very charming guy.

But no matter how charming and persuassive Eric can be, I still think that the post mac intel time has showed unacceptable behavior from Spectrasonics with their charming commucation that keeps promising new development around the corner.

I could not believe after all that wait for an intel update they came up with the wrapper. It´s like promising a house and delevering a tent. No harm done - just charm away and please remember to render your audio and don´t play your synth live ?

I thought spectrasonnics where doing all in their power to transform their synths to intel. But somehow they managed to carve in time for a new product.

Don´t get me wrong. It´s nice with new product. But is it to much to ask for some facts about the other products. To me the promissed solution - was not a wrapper. So I beg you to be clear and precise in your communication this time.

I really dislike this cat and mouse game that has been going on.

All the best

Re: Spectrasonics - Unacceptable behavior - Trilogy/Athmosphere/Omnisphere

I have not made a single comment about the intel saga until now.

I just realized that had I not switched to Nuendo on PC from Mac 2 years ago, I'd be feeling the same way as all of the Mac guys out here wanting to use Spectra products correctly. This should be a basic promise for any developer in any business.

The above poster's request for straight talk is totally deserved from Spectrasonics. Are you not going to update your legacy products and hope you get Omnisphere out in time to take care of all the Mac people before they bail on your company? Or, are you indeed going to make your existing products compatible as well as work on new products.

As a professional user, I think you owe it to everyone to give a straight answer.

My 2 cents
    Nuendo 3/ Cubase 4.5 on XP sp2 QuadCore 2.66 Ghz VisionDaw Built DAW RME HDSP 96/52 into ProTools HD3 (digi192x6) on MacPro 3 Ghz... Farm PCs x (6) VisionDaw Machines PC Dual 2.66 Ghz w- Kontakt 3.5 w/ UAD Cards Midi Over Lan

I agree with the immediate need of an elegant solution for Trilogy & Atmosphere. I love Eric's products and he is a terrific person, BUT they have totally abandoned their fan base on this issue. No Intel for these products after all the promises, not cool.........

The wrapper solution is working pretty good for me. It's not ideal, I get some audio glitching here and there when if I don't freeze tracks occasionally to free things up, but it's workable. Sept. 15 is a long time to wait, but hey, that's life folks. I suggest that you spend the next nine months getting over it, life doesn't always move the way you would like, particularly when you are talking about product development. Spectrasonics hasn't made any promises that they haven't delivered, your expectations are a bit unfounded, and fall more into the category of assumptions. And you know what they say about assuming!

I don't remember Eric ever promising anything specific to Mac users, simply that the wrapper was a more temporary solution. And indeed, Omnisphere is a replacement for Atmosphere as it contains all of Atmo's content, and it is very likely that Trilogy will either be included or released as an expansion in some form.

I made this point at Gearslutz as well, but what do you really expect them to do? Think of it from their perspective. They cannot update the Atmo/Trilogy engines. It's not their code. They didn't write it. Thus the only way you're going to get compatibility is if they spent their time writing an entirely new engine, from scratch, for those products. Now, from a business standpoint, how can it possibly make sense to spend all your time developing an engine which will be made obsolete by STEAM? It's a waste of time and money.

The difference between Spectra and other developers who had to make UB plugs is that those other developers could simply expand on their own code to make the UB versions. Not a problem. But again, Eric and team would have had to commission an entirely new engine from scratch just to get back to where they were before. A massive investment for no return whatsoever. Does that really make sense? Or does it make more sense to put your resources into coding a new product entirely with the custom engine?

You might not like the situation, but don't blame Eric. Blame Apple for making the change from PPC to Intel and forcing compatibility issues on thousands of developers, and blame UVI for not properly updating the engines. If you really need to use these products so desperately and the wrapper isn't working, buy a used PC that's less than, say, 4 years old ($100-200) and have a field day. I almost see it as a matter of course that Mac users have compatibility problems.. as a PC-based computer musician for the last five years I've never had a single issue with plugins not working on my OS (but working properly on others.) Windows XP is a spectacular platform.
    Zircon Studios - Original music for media, electronica, sound design, and synthesis.

I think you have it backwards....Spectrasoncis has been working on Omnisphere for several years. Apple's decision to switch to Intel is no fault of Spectrasonics, and they obviously carved time AWAY from Omnisphere to make their products work on Intel Macs.

Personally, I think you owe them a "thank you".

...and an apology.

I remain solely responsible for the content of my messages, and agree to indemnify and hold harmless northern sound source, and their agents with respect to any claim based upon transmission of my message(s). Rock on.

Brotha' Man Eric,

I don't need Atmosphere as I, like you, am capable of creating my own pads. That's why I use hardware and software, the best of both worlds.

But I still use some of your great works of yore, which IMO, have no equal. I look forward to seeing Omnisphere next Fall, thanks for all of your great libraries over the years.

As they say in Vegas....Bad news is better than no news.

Yeah Morton - no sympathy here - get a PC and get over it. I just bought an Acer desktop with a Q6600 and 2GB RAM for <$700US with Vista 32-bit installed. Or wait for Omnisphere and upgrade (I saw the demo at NAMM - it's a killer) or deal with the wrapper.

Anyway you slice it, you're blaming Eric for Steve Job's identity crisis. Not cool.
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

I too am surprised at the whining and complaining that's been going on - like Eric OWES you guys something. You didn't have to buy the Intel Mac. There are plenty of used PPC Macs out there you could get your hands on, and as pointed out, there's PC.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Why is Apple's choice to switch to Intel "Steve Jobs' identity crisis?" Do you have some insider information that the rest of the world isn't privy to?

How can you defend Spectrasonics for things that happened out of its control, yet blame Apple for things that happened out of its control?

Go Back to forum