• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Partition image backup soft for win xp 64 needed

Share/Bookmark

Question Partition image backup soft for win xp 64 needed

I need something like Norton Save and restore or norton Ghost but for windows xp 64...

Any1 have some recommendation for me ????

I want to be able to do a backup of entire partition with installed windows and write it on separate HDD or DVD....

and then restore the whole windows drive from a DVD using some startup disk or something of course too.

incremental backup of selected folders feature would be nice too, not to mention backup over the network but it's not so important.

Re: Partition image backup soft for win xp 64 needed

Acronis True Image 11 lists support for Win XP x64 in its System Requirements:
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing...uirements.html

It is a competing product to Norton Ghost.

I have used it with success on Win XP 32 (don't own XP 64).

Acronis also sells versions of True Image for businesses (which includes networking support):
    http://www.acronis.com/smb/

Norton Ghost 8.3 will also work fine with Windows XP x64, Vista x64, etc.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Haydn
    Norton Ghost 8.3 will also work fine with Windows XP x64, Vista x64, etc.

Jim
    but isn't that a very old version ? The current one is 12.0 and they don't mention support for x64.

You Know, I have Norton Save & Restore with Norton Ghost 10 technology and I can't install it in win xp 64
    It says that the system is not supported

Yup, and my official reply from Norton/Symantec support was that Ghost 11/12 doesn't run XP64.

Thanks for the heads-up on True Image. I might try that out myself.

I use Acronis on all my PCs.

D

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl
    I use Acronis on all my PCs.

D
    Daryl, how's the Try&Decide feature ???
    Does it really work ???
    This one : http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing...ckup.html#frst

if I'll get the True Image 11 Home version and I have two PCs then I'll be able to do a backup of second PC from first one thru ethernet ???

I've used Acronis TrueImage 'Home' on my Windows x64 machine for about 6 months now, works perfect. And I'm only on version 10. It's a very nice program. I have it create an unattended backup image to my server everynight, and it automatically keeps your last x number of backups (I have it keep 5, you can set it to whatever you want).

I recommend it highly.

- buzz

Quote Originally Posted by lukpcn
    if I'll get the True Image 11 Home version and I have two PCs then I'll be able to do a backup of second PC from first one thru ethernet ???
    Yes. I have 2 XP machines (one 32 bit and one 64) that backup over my ethernet network to my server.

They also have a fancy feature where you it will create a separate partition on your local drive to store your images. Supposedly it gives you the ability to do immediate restores, you just reboot and hold a key during bootup (like a Dell computer lets you do to go back to the factory image). Haven't tried it yet but I'm going to one of these days. Not sure if it allows you access to the partition, which I'd want, because I'd still want to put a 'safety' copy of the backups on another machine.

buzz

but isn't that a very old version ? The current one is 12.0 and they don't mention support for x64.

You Know, I have Norton Save & Restore with Norton Ghost 10 technology and I can't install it in win xp 64
    Ghost 8.3 is part of the Ghost Solution Suite 2.0 which is a business product. It supports x64 all the way up to Vista x64. We use it for most versions of Linux also. I use Ghost 8.3 pretty much all day in my work environment. See the following link for info: http://www.symantec.com/business/pro...247&pvid=865_1

Jim

Go Back to forum