• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Movie Music Challenge

Share/Bookmark

Movie Music Challenge

Garritan Movie Music Challenge

Thanks to Sean Hannifin we have an archive site for this challenge. It is located at:

http://www.wizardwalk.com/MovieMusicChallenges/

The Garritan Movie Music Challenges are just for fun. They challenge you to use Garritan libraries and your own creativity to orchestrate and create a theme in any way you want. Any Garritan library user may participate. Participants generally have around six weeks to create their entries, and then submit them. Entries are then anonymously posted and voted upon by Northern Sound Source forum members. The winner becomes the writer/adapter for the next Challenge's Movie/Plot. There will be no film to score to, just the idea of a film and your imagination!

Rules:

1) Your entry should have substantially been created using Garritan libraries (GPO, JABB, Strad, Gofriller, Marching Band, etc. – if there are etc’s).

2) You may enter as many times as you'd like, as long as each entry is substantially different.

3) The Garritan Movie Challenge is to create a musical panorama for either a real movie that we all would recognize, or a fictitious movie. It would be as if the director of a new movie were asking you to come up with approximately 3 minutes of music that would capture the essence of the movie plot or theme as described.

4) The winner is chosen after the entries have been posted anonymously on the NSS forum, and the forum members have voted for their favorite in a poll. How the forum members judge which is their favorite is totally up to them.

5) The winner of the Challenge wins nothing, except the acclaim of the forum, and the honor of setting the next Challenge.
    Mr. Gary Garritan has asked me to mention that since this is something new and exciting, He will donate a library to the winner. Thank you Mr. Garritan!

6) The Challenge Setter may enter his or her own Challenge. (Please read, yes, he or she may enter their own contest. Why not, everyone has all the same info.)

CHALLENGE #1: " Dark Passage"

As director of this new movie, I would like you to create approximately 3 minutes of music for the following film concept:

This is a dark and foreboding story of a conflict between good and evil. Good will prevail in the end but suffer great loss. The main character is human and all his resources, beliefs and commitments will be tested by a ‘dark lord’, a lord whose powers stem from the bowels of the earth. The Hero will discover man’s connection to the earth and the powers of the universe which have gone untapped by man for eons.

Good luck and the music needs to be on my desk in 6 weeks.

Entries in mp3 form can be sent to: wfrayer@centurytel.net

Deadline for entries is February 17.
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Re: Movie Music Challenge

With the deadline approaching in a little over two weeks (Feb. 17) I have 5 entries.

You all have plenty of time to join in and create your movie music.

I can't wait to hear what these pieces sound like.

Challenge #10 Winner

5 entries so far, two weeks to go - Let's hear what you have! It's Cinemagic Time

Challenge #10 Winner

I keep getting distracted with other compositions, but don't worry. I'll get mine in soon....

I'll have to plan on entering the next one. I'm way over my head with other projects right now.

Anyway, this is a great idea. Looking forward to whatever the next challenge is. Good luck to everyone who enters.
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

I have a piece that's almost ready, but I'm not sure if I'll enter it or not. Did we agree that it needs to be 80% or more Garritan products? I may be able to then...still will be tough... The modwheel is my enemy....

Okay, I've finally gotten around to working on this again. Actually, now I hate what I've composed. Eh, whatever. I'll do it anyway.

One week to go before the dealine. I think it is worth it to bump this topic up the list again.

Mine is basically done now. Each time I listen to it I keep tweaking, so it is better to force me to stop fiddling with it and send it in.

Quote Originally Posted by moviemaestro View Post
    I have a piece that's almost ready, but I'm not sure if I'll enter it or not. Did we agree that it needs to be 80% or more Garritan products? I may be able to then...still will be tough... The modwheel is my enemy....

Yes Steph, I am not sure of the Percent, but mostly Garritan should be used. Of course, that will be hard if you use choral tracks.

I am looking for ward to hearing yours and the other entries of which there are now 7

Good luck all!

Challenge #10 Winner

My computer broke, and I'm probably not gonna get it back for about a week. This is what I get for putting it off until the last week....

Go Back to forum