Garritan Movie Music Challenge
Thanks to Sean Hannifin we have an archive site for this challenge. It is located at:
The Garritan Movie Music Challenges are just for fun. They challenge you to use Garritan libraries and your own creativity to orchestrate and create a theme in any way you want. Any Garritan library user may participate. Participants generally have around six weeks to create their entries, and then submit them. Entries are then anonymously posted and voted upon by Northern Sound Source forum members. The winner becomes the writer/adapter for the next Challenge's Movie/Plot. There will be no film to score to, just the idea of a film and your imagination!
1) Your entry should have substantially been created using Garritan libraries (GPO, JABB, Strad, Gofriller, Marching Band, etc. – if there are etc’s).
2) You may enter as many times as you'd like, as long as each entry is substantially different.
3) The Garritan Movie Challenge is to create a musical panorama for either a real movie that we all would recognize, or a fictitious movie. It would be as if the director of a new movie were asking you to come up with approximately 3 minutes of music that would capture the essence of the movie plot or theme as described.
4) The winner is chosen after the entries have been posted anonymously on the NSS forum, and the forum members have voted for their favorite in a poll. How the forum members judge which is their favorite is totally up to them.
5) The winner of the Challenge wins nothing, except the acclaim of the forum, and the honor of setting the next Challenge. Mr. Gary Garritan has asked me to mention that since this is something new and exciting, He will donate a library to the winner. Thank you Mr. Garritan!
6) The Challenge Setter may enter his or her own Challenge. (Please read, yes, he or she may enter their own contest. Why not, everyone has all the same info.)
CHALLENGE #1: " Dark Passage"
As director of this new movie, I would like you to create approximately 3 minutes of music for the following film concept:
This is a dark and foreboding story of a conflict between good and evil. Good will prevail in the end but suffer great loss. The main character is human and all his resources, beliefs and commitments will be tested by a ‘dark lord’, a lord whose powers stem from the bowels of the earth. The Hero will discover man’s connection to the earth and the powers of the universe which have gone untapped by man for eons.
Good luck and the music needs to be on my desk in 6 weeks.
Entries in mp3 form can be sent to: email@example.com
Deadline for entries is February 17.