• Register
  • Help

Topic: Free Expression

Share/Bookmark

Arrow Free Expression

Three vastly different moods for Sax Quartet.
    THIS HAS A NEW VARITION IN THE MIDDLE. IT'S NOT QUITE THE SAME
    Gary
    A NEW POSTING FROM MY LESSON ON SUN. JAN 27

hi-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getpl...d=6202697&q=hi

Re: Free Expression

Hi, Gary

Ever notice, I'm sure everyone has, how the mood one is already in has a definite effect on how we hear or see things? We can see what is actually a masterful movie, for instance, but if we're not in a receptive mood for some reason - its greatness can escape us.

And it's the same with music. Sometimes I'll find myself in a mood that only "allows" something classical. Other moods has me wanting something Loud and raucous. I think when I'm feeling the most balanced, I'm open to hearing most anything - and that's the way I prefer myself to be.

I know I'm not always in the mood to hear something which is as free form as this Sax piece of yours. BUT this morning, I'm feeling great, I'm in a great, expansive mood, and so I'm probably more open to "Free Expression" this morning than I would be other times.

I enjoyed the listen very much. I was enjoying how your mind worked, and I enjoyed the contrast to myself - since I find it almost impossible to picture myself ever composing anything like this.

One note - my old broken record caveat - how I wish there was reverb on this. Tracks devoid of ambience feel like they're smothering me. For awhile there you were producing music that had a nice touch of ambience - then suddenly, you went back to Zero reverb--I miss it. Your work misses it. It's Always worth the extra work.

Thanks for the entertaining sounds.

Randy B.

Thanks for listening, Randy.
    I find it interesting that two individuals who seem to approach music
    from different worlds seem to continue to find parallel orbits.
    Your writing seems to be filled with larger, dramatic music and mine seems to fly in and out of tonality and coxplex simplicity.
    For the amount of ambience, in using the CMB I have placed the reverb in a range of 2 to 4.5. I haven't touched the othher indicators. Do I need higher reverb?
    Gary

Hello again, Gary

Yes, the variety here in The Listening Room is one of its greatest strengths. I so often hear music that is so different from anything I do, and I love that.

Regardless of my penchant for frequent key changes, tempo changes, chromaticism, dissonance, and constant re-working of established themes, the foundation of most of my work is tonal and melodically based. Stripped of the arranging work I've done in my "Dorian" score, for instance, the basic material is even downright Pop. Song oriented. I don't mind admitting that my strongest influences continue to be pop songwriters like Lennon and McCartney, and Broadway composers.

Quote Originally Posted by garymosse
    For the amount of ambience, in using the CMB I have placed the reverb in a range of 2 to 4.5. I haven't touched the othher indicators. Do I need higher reverb?
    Gary
    Well, I commented on the reverb earlier because it sounds like there's none in this, Gary. It's like some of your posts from months ago, when you thought you were using reverb, but it turned out you had some settings wrong so that actually no effect was being used in your projects.

I don't know what you mean by "a range of 2 to 4.5 - not sure what those numbers are referring to.

All I know is that you had reverb working nicely for awhile there - now it seems to be gone >poof!< again!

Randy B.

I enjoyed the writing in this triptych of free
    work, Gary. Nice contrasts, and some unexpectedly
    diverse harmonic and rhythmic variety.

With Randy, I'd wish for a better sound treatment
    on it, however.

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Thanks for listening, David.
    I have made a lot of note adjustments at my lesson on Sunday.
    It's different now. Hope you can listen again.
    Gary

Go Back to forum