• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Incidental Music (Completed) ..Woodwind Quintet

Share/Bookmark

Incidental Music (Completed) ..Woodwind Quintet

Hi all,

This is the completion of a posting I made previously, with a few new pieces added. I had to use a lower resolution and do a fade-out at the end to conform to the space restriction.

I hope you enjoy it.

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Showband.asp?id=12750

Best Regards,

Jack

Re: Incidental Music (Completed) ..Woodwind Quintet

Jack,

This is a clever little woodwind composition. Nicely done, good production of the work. Thanks for sharing it here.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

A cool composition, very nice Jack! I enjoyed listening.

Best,

Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Hiya, Jack

Gee I wish the player at that site worked for me - but it just doesn't. Oh well, there's the download option--and though it took me 4 minutes to grab this, I'm certainly glad I went for it.

Wonderful stuff! One thought I had while listening - I'd just tuned into a great BBC TV series, like maybe another chapter of "Sherlock Holmes" -(though, alas, the great Jeremy Brett is no longer with us).

It gives me a vicarious sense of satisfaction, knowing that this is material you've returned to, expanded and honed. It's great to see that happen.

Tech comment - I feel this would do with a bit more reverb. I like the intimate sound, but it's rather unrealistically dry as if the musicians are sitting inside an anechoic chamber with me.

It's quite a large and complex piece - The 18 minute length could be daunting for many of us who have a limited time to spend here in The Listening Room. Though it would probably be artistically upsetting to do it - I'm wondering if posting this is segments might have give you a larger audience?

Highly entertaining work, Jack. Thanks for it.

Randy B.

Hi Gary and Gunther and Randy,

Thanks for listening, and for your kind comments.

I do have reverb on this, Randy. It's something called Warm Room from Cool Edit Pro, which I applied to the dry file. To give it more reverb, would you play with the dry/wet numbers on that preset, or use another preset ?

As far as the length, I realized that that could be a problem, but unfortunately, I only have so many slots available on that host, so I decided to do it that way.

Thanks again for your help and your comments.

Best Regards,

Jack

Overall it is a good effort. I agree that it needs reverb. Also the timing and volume between the instruments is too uniform; needs to be humanized.

H'lo again, Jack
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksiru

I do have reverb on this, Randy. It's something called Warm Room from Cool Edit Pro, which I applied to the dry file. To give it more reverb, would you play with the dry/wet numbers on that preset, or use another preset?...
    Well, depends on how you're using it. If you're mixing this like an audio project, then you leave the reverb plugin 100% wet and add different amounts to the instruments via sends to a bus that has the reverb. You don't want to just add a reverb plug to an entire .wav file.

If that's this "warm room" at full tilt--well then I definitely find it too subtle.

Randy B.

Wonderful. I liked all the different episodes, each with it's own character, like watching a theatre performance.

The reverb did not bother me actually. I did notice that sometimes the accompaniment figures do not vary much and gets a little stale.

Take Care,
    YBaCuO

Hi Meyo, Randy, and YBaCuO,

Thanks for listening, for your comments, and for your suggestions. I still have trouble getting my head around some of this. However, I'll keep plugging away.

Best Regards,

Jack

Very well done, Jack -- I enjoyed the finished version
    of this. Some really wonderful handling of the woodwinds
    in this -- the tongue--in-cheek parts, especially; and
    just in general, the various moods, energy levels, and
    contrasts.

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Go Back to forum