• Register
  • Help

Topic: Gigasampler and audio compression

Share/Bookmark

Gigasampler and audio compression

The Nemesys Gigapiano uses some kind of audio compression. Is there any way for users to use that compression algorythm for their own sounds either with Gigasampler or the new Gigastudio? Has anyone thought about using MP3 compression on Gigasampler? It seems to me like that would be an awesome feature! It would cut down the hard disk usage requirements by orders of magnitude and significantly enhance Gigasampler\'s performance over networks etc. Heck you might even be able to play samples with lots of polyphony off a CD or DVD-ROM. I know the processor requirments would be a lot more intense, but look at the new Coppermine and Athlon processors. If they can\'t do it now, they are almost certain to be able to next year!

Is this a new idea, or are the guys at Nemesys way ahead of me on this one? I sure hope so.

Re: Gigasampler and audio compression

All the sounds that you play through giga sampler are not audio compressed , but giga piano does use a type of audio compression called NO LOSS COMPRESSION and some of the specs on no loss are that you can\'t use more than a 50 percent reduction in size [just like the giga piano , which is a 1.2 gig piano on a roughly 600meg disk] another characteristic is that there\'s not supposed to be a loss in audio fidelity .
    Im sure as time goes on will be getting multigig Pianos on dvd disk since they can hold 5.2 gigs.

Is it possible for me to use this lossless compression for my own gig files?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Laurence:
    Is it possible for me to use this lossless compression for my own gig files? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think the compression is used to store files on the piano CD but not used when it\'s installed to your HD. If you have the gigapiano check the size on your HD. Is it over or is it under 1G?

Go Back to forum