• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Live violin and Gofriller

Share/Bookmark

Live violin and Gofriller

Hi,

over in the samples discussion forum I learned that our forum member Sean C. Dockery has had problems with a live recording of one of his works. I tried an own interpretation of his "Reminiscing" with two live violins, Kirk Hunter viola and Garritan Gofriller.

Since I promised several times to post some live violin playing and this is a nice piece to show off the Gofriller, I thought I should post it here also. A case of samples making music happen!

Thank you Sean for your nice music (I did it by ear, so probably there is missing more than something).

I am still learning how to mix and playing into that mic, so please be patient.

Hannes

http://www.frischat.com/compose/HF_S...niscing_03.mp3

More upfront mix:

http://www.frischat.com/compose/HF_S...iscing-_05.mp3
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

Re: Live violin and Gofriller

Hi Hannes,

I have listend to it in the other thread..., very coooool what you did!

I have a tip about the recording: Put your headphone on and adjust the volume as loud that you can only hear the voise out of the headphone. Then experiment with different angles and ranges to your microphone, experiment this while you are playing... .

Many years ago when I did my first recording with an acustic nylon-stringed guitar I found out, that different angles to the mic and different ranges to the mic only from 10cm let the recording sound very different... .

Best,

Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Hi Gunther,

thank you. Updated ...

Quote Originally Posted by Hannes_F
    Hi Gunther,

thank you. Updated ...
    Smile,

and I have updated my last post here...
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Quote Originally Posted by germancomponist
    I have a tip about the recording: Put your headphone on and adjust the volume as loud that you can only hear the voise out of the headphone. Then experiment with different angles and ranges to your microphone, experiment this while you are playing... .
    Now that is a great hint.

Actually a violin is really loud, up to 105 dB but I can try nevertheless.

Hannes

Hannes,

This is a very lovely work that you have presented here. I think that your recording of the live performance is done well along with the final mix. Thanks for sharing it here.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Hannes

This is a lovely mix of reality and illusion. I think as musicians and composers, that is what we are always trying to accomplish.

Well done

Ron

Gary, Ron,

thank you both for listening and commenting. Yes, we try to get our results, no matter which means we must use. If this means scratching with a feather on pergament, so be it. If it means scratching with horse hair on cat's gut, so be it. If it means setting up a computer and learning to ride the controls, so be it.

I have a question to my buddies here: I made a second mix that is more upfront. Do you think the strings sound is still likeable on your system?

Best
    Hannes

Lovely playing, Hannes. I much prefer #2; #1 sounds kind of muffled compared to #2. #2 brings out the violins overtones much better.

Hello, Hannes

This is a wonderful and rare treat, to hear something from you. It's been a long wait, but now with this, it's been worth waiting for.

Your musicianship displayed in this brief but very lovely piece by Sean Dockery is very satisfing to listen to. All the instruments, both virtual and physical are played with a very effective sophistication, and the recorded blend of the two worlds works beautifully for me.

Surely Sean must be happy with what you have done with this? It's sounds simply wonderful.

Thank you.

Randy B.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast