• Register
  • Help

Topic: Midi Cable and Latency

Share/Bookmark

Midi Cable and Latency

My computer is connected to Fantom X8. But still i get a big latency when I play. I know partially is due to the sound card that I have. I have actually ordered an Audio Kontrol 1!!
    But before when I had yamaha PSR SQ-16 keyboard conneced via MIDI cable ( no USB) using with Encore ( notation software) I was not experiecing such a latency!! But it was connected using Midi out jacks connected to the back of my sound card in 1995!
    I have the following questions:
    Which one is the most prefered:
    1. MIDI cable
    2. USB midi Audio cable
    3. USB to MIDI Cable
    I have a laptop so I cannot use my old midi cable ( connecting to the back of my sound card) anymore.
    Does the length and brand of the cable matter?
    I appreciate your time and help.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    HP Pavilion zv6000
    WinXP-Pro. 2GB RM+600GB HDD
    Software: Finale 2007c, BIAB 2005, Garritan JABB, GPO, Nuendo 3, Sound Forge 8, NI-Komplete 5
    Keyboards: Roland Fantom X8, Creative PC-MIDI keyboard
    Chekad Sarami
    Math Professor

Re: Midi Cable and Latency

Clarify - are you getting latency from your software synths and samplers, or latency when Finale is trying to play back sounds on your Fantom...?

Generally speaking, latency is used in context of talking about soft-synths, and has little to do with MIDI, and everything to do with the quality of your soundcard, your drivers, and your i/o buffer settings on the soundcard.

Re: Midi Cable and Latency

Quote Originally Posted by Symbiotic
    Clarify - are you getting latency from your software synths and samplers, or latency when Finale is trying to play back sounds on your Fantom...?
    Thanks! Yes, the latency comes from my software synth ( Kontakt etc.) when i record in Nuendo! But, as you said I guess I have to wait till my new sound card arrives ( Audio Kontrol 1).
    Chekad Sarami
    Math Professor

Go Back to forum