• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Footsteps for Violin and Cello

Share/Bookmark

Footprints for Violin and Cello

Hi All,

I have recently completed a little duet for the Strad and my new Gofriller. I usually work in Overture4 but since I found that Finale2008 works very well with these two instruments, I decided to use Finale instead of Overture to play back the score. Of course HumanPlayback also makes it sound very nice in half the time it takes to get the same kind of playback from Overture.

This piece is not very usual for me. It will probably come as a bit of a surprise to many. Many years ago as an undergrad student I was fortunate enough to have jazz theory and harmony classes with Darius Brubeck, the son of the famous Dave Brubeck. Of course at the time I was not overy interested in jazz and didn't take too much note of it. All I remember very clearly was the way the man taught his class, standing to the side of the grand piano in the lecture hall, smoking one cigarette after another and talking about chords that I never imagined even existed and all of this in an American accent that was completely foreign to me.

Anyway, with this little piece I kind of want to remember that time in my own small way.

In this short little piece, the music is probably a little exaggerated but I hope pleasant enough for you to listen to. If anyone would like to see the score it is HERE (I thought I will use the jazzy font just for fun, and it is not a finnished score, but most of the things are there).

I hope you will enjoy this.

Mp3 is here :

Sur le sable nos pas s'effacent déjà

Edit : I thought I will just explain the meaning of the title, in case it was a little confusing. It simply means that our footprints in the sand have disappeared already.
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

Re: Footsteps for Violin and Cello

Absolute great, Louis. A very CONTEMPORARY jazz
    piece and such wonderful playing by the Stradivari and
    Gofriller.

You have made Finale sound admirable, LouisD. Just a
    magnificent, creative effort in all respects.

BRAVO,

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Hi, Louis

What a great story about Darius Brubeck - Thanks for sharing that great memory with us. Sounds like he was one of those kind of guys who leaves the little burnt troughs on pianos with the incessant cigarettes.

And even More thanks for sharing this wonderful piece of music with us. Now Here is musical freedom conceived, written and performed with intelligence!

One of the most enthralling listening experiences I've had in awhile. Perfect title - though the great piano doesn't credit in that title! Really great use of the Garritan solo strings.

Bravo, my friend!

Randy B.

Nice piece. This sounded very classical to me, with a nice loose feeling and interesting harmonies. And I'm not a jazz fan at all.

Does Finale automatically perform the vibrato changes? It sounds pretty good. On a minor note, I thought the violin was a little abrupt when starting phrases. This is a dreamy piece and when the violin started with a loud attack it disrupted the dream a little.

Take Care,
    YBaCuO

Really enjoyed this ,Louis.!

Some passages were quite stunning, taking me by surprise.

Again, you have an interesting method of blending modern with classical styles .. I recognize your treatment in this jazz arrangement.

... and a terrific rendering btw, You've created a very tight ensemble here with only a few instruments.

Well done!...and a great composition!

~Jeff

Louis,

Yet another different side to your work - you have a distinctive voice that is capable of many accents. This sounds very natural, like you have always written music like this. If you haven't, then this is all the more impressive.

And, let's not forget: this is quite beautiful. Nice, nice work.
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Louis

A wonderful mixture of old and new with a great sound.

Nice piano work as well. Thought I'd mention that since no one else did.

Well Done

Ron

Louis,

Wow! Whether in harmony or disharmony, it shines!
    Every instrument gets full attention in a brilliant way, and one can see all that in your score.
    I listened to it again right away, admiring your work.
    The name sounds so much nicer in French, but somehow that couldn't be translated to English in the same sense...
    Thank you for sharing.

Yudit

Hi Louis, I always look forward to hearing your compositions which for me, never fail to please - and this is no exception. The mixture of classical and jazz styles works very well here. You have both 'working together' rather than battling against each other and the overall effect is very successful.

Excellent handling of the solo samples and Finale HP too. Thanks also for sharing the score. This is always very enlightening.

A most enjoyable listening experience.

Regards, Graham

Quote Originally Posted by Rhap2
    Absolute great, Louis. A very CONTEMPORARY jazz
    piece and such wonderful playing by the Stradivari and
    Gofriller.

You have made Finale sound admirable, LouisD. Just a
    magnificent, creative effort in all respects.

BRAVO,

Jack
    Thank you for listening Jack. Finale is a great programme for composers, and I leaning towards using it more often in the future.
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast