• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT: MIDI Between PC and Mac Question

Share/Bookmark

OT: MIDI Between PC and Mac Question

Hey everyone,

I know that Midi-over-Lan is the easiest way to transfer MIDI between a Mac and a PC, however, it doesn't fit into my budget right now.

So, I'm trying to make do with what I got. I have:

Midiman 1x1 USB(2 of them)
    Midiman 2X2 USB(2 of them)
    Opticode Studio 3 Midi Interface (connects through serial)

So, I'm thinking that I can go from the MIDI out on one Midiman to a MIDI in on the Studio 3. Then, I can go MIDI out from the Studio 3 into the MIDI in of the second Midiman.

Does that make sense?

Come to think of it, I probably wouldn't need the Studio 3 interface at all. I could just go direct from the in on the first Midiman to the out on the second.

Anyway, does anyone have a setup similar to this? I'm wondering what kind of latency problems I might encounter.

Thanks for the help.

Jonny
    For more information, check out www.jonathoncox.com/intro.html

"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music they should be taught to love it instead." - Igor Stravinsky

Re: OT: MIDI Between PC and Mac Question

That sounds like it would work.

MIDI is pretty fast. You usually encounter latency on the audio buffer side.

Check out ipMIDI at nerds.de

Their price seems reasonable. I've been testing it using the demo and it works well.

Rob

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Rob, ipMIDI sounds interesting. Do I need to install it on both machines or just one? If I install it on the Mac, how does the PC find it? If I open Sonar Home Studio, will there be a port in there that says "Ethernet MIDI" or something like that? Their website doesn't really explain that much.

Thanks again,
    Jonny
    For more information, check out www.jonathoncox.com/intro.html

"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music they should be taught to love it instead." - Igor Stravinsky

You would install the Mac version of the program on the Mac and the PC version on the PC.

Follow the instructions on the installation process and you should be ok. (This is my way of saying, "I don't remember what I exactly did to get it to work - but it was very easy and I didn't have any trouble with it.)

And yes, once you install it, ipMIDI will show up as a MIDI driver in your programs.

Rob

Go Back to forum